Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MyDefrag

• Please log in to reply

ReturnOfMario

ReturnOfMario

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a question about using MyDefrag.

My question: should I analyze the drive each week between scheduled (monthly) defragmenting?

After the analysis of both the C:\ and E:\ drives are completed, should I divide the number of files fragmented by those that aren't (example: 1000 fragmented files and 1,771,561 unfragmented files), and then to check the percentage (the result of diving the number of files fragmented by those that aren't) to see if it's 10 percent or more? And if it is 10 percent or more, then that's when I'd defragment one or both of my drives. Otherwise, leave well enough alone, correct? If none of this math is correct then what should I do to determine whether or not I should defrag based on the number of fragmented and unfragmented files?

Presumably, if the number of unfragmented files on drive C:\ is, for example, 1,771,561, then the number of those fragmented should reach at least 177,156 to make it necessary to defragment that drive.

My current MyDefrag stats show for my C:\ drive:
Fragmented files: 1,041
Unfragmented files: 124,792
Gaps: 2,164
Average gap: 212,156,416 B
Median gap: 24,576 B
Biggest gap: 237,725,655,040 B
Fragmented/unfragmented ratio: 0.0083 (so, no need to defragment this drive yet)

And for the E:\ drive:
Fragmented files: 6
Unfragmented files: 6,989
Gaps: 55
Average gap: 4,359,143,424 B
Median gap: 57,344 B
Biggest gap: 122,475,110,400 B

~Ben

Edited by ReturnOfMario, 09 March 2013 - 04:03 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: ReturnOfMario

You should not defrag a HDD too often as you are putting the drive under stress for no reason and this adds to the wear and tear that the HDD normally suffers, you would be better of running TFC weekly and defragging the HDD every 3 months

Download and run TFC from http://www.geekstogo...ds&showfile=187 your computer should automatically re-boot on completion but if not do it manually.

ReturnOfMario

ReturnOfMario

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

:welcome: ReturnOfMario

You should not defrag a HDD too often as you are putting the drive under stress for no reason and this adds to the wear and tear that the HDD normally suffers, you would be better of running TFC weekly and defragging the HDD every 3 months

Download and run TFC from http://www.geekstogo...ds&showfile=187 your computer should automatically re-boot on completion but if not do it manually.

I wonder if this is just the same thing as manually cleaning out the files from the "Temp" folder?

~Ben

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
TFC does a better job as it misses nothing, trust me and keep things simple and use the tools available to you it literally takes a couple of minutes, also keep in mind that if you complicate things for yourself something may go wrong for you.