Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boots straight into safe mode

• Please log in to reply

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Odd as I get http://windows.micro...nload#sptabs=xp

Alternative link http://en.kioskea.ne...-windows-xp-sp2

NB: The same update approach was suggested in replies #2 and #22 123Runner

Going to the alternative link you provided the computer actually loaded the page. I have clicked download and am now looking at the classic hourglass...This computer is running slow... I will give it some time and see what happens..

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Fingers crossed then - good luck

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
OK. After clicking the download button a yellow bar opened across the bottom saying "Opening page http://kioskea.net/d..._fragment....." it runs off of page. It has shown this for about 45 minutes or longer. Went to task manager and it says it is still running. The performance chart says the CPU usage is between 30 and 35%. Should I just leave it alone or click refresh or click the Download button again? When I move the mouse over the download link the finger pointer pops up like it can be clicked. I can also scroll the page.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
How is it now?
If still the same try clicking the download tab again. and let us know what happens, I have never had to use the said link myself BTW, have you checked the download dialogue/progress box.

It will take a while to install but not hours, is the download by way of a dial - up (ethernet) connection as this is a lot slower.

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
OK. I clicked the download box again and a file download box popped up "...indowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe and clicked Open. It shows that it is downloading with a progress bar....I am on my knees with my fingers crossed praying! lol It is showing a seven minute download time. Be back soon...

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
It has just finished extracting fileand moving them to a directory. Now it has just popped up with Windows XP service Pack 2 set up wizard. Still praying....

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Success!!!!! :lol: Now do I need to download SP 3? I am exited! What is the next step??
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
I have taken it on myself to install Avast and it is now running a Quick scan.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Well done :thumbsup:

When you are ready install SP3.

As an asides if you have something further to add while waiting for a reply from us can you use the edit tab please, this will ensure nothing that you post gets overlooked + it doesn`t fill up any ones inbox <_<

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
OK. SP3 has been installed and I have went back to some of the other items you have asked me to do that I have not been able to. I ran the test at PCPitstop and here is the link you asked for.... http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25271813

BTW, sorry for loading up your inbox. I did not realize what that was doing during my exitement...
Thanks again for all that you are doing!!

One more thing...This post has been posted using the old computer!

Edited by chuckgibson, 16 March 2013 - 09:32 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Your perseverance is admirable chuckgibson :yes:

Please return to the PCPitstop results and address the items that have a red X against them, if you hover the cursor over the item you will be given a description of the issue and if you click on it you will be instructed how to correct the problem.

Ironically your internet connection is one thing about the computer that is good but to make it better when browsing install the latest version of Java http://java.com/en/d...&os_version=6.2

The most cost effective way to improve a computers performance is to upgrade the Ram, use the Crucial system scanner tool to find the best recommended Ram for your system, no need to purchase from there, write down the details and shop around for the best deal http://www.crucial.c...ner/?click=true let us know what is suggested and we can also look for you.

Upgrading the Ram will also improve the video performance as the MBs integrated video chip also uses the system memory for support.

You are welcome BTW and thanks for understanding and using the edit tab :thumbsup:

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Wow. Almost there. The computer seems to run faster after following the recommendations you pointed out on the PCPitstop scan. I ran the Crucial scan and have the information written down but I will need to get with my cousin to find out how far they want to go with this.

A few more small items. When I boot up this computer it goes to a page that has me choose the operating system to use. There is only one so it is kind of useless. Is there any way I can just get it to bypass that stop? It seems like it should go to a User choice page.

I know that right now my cousin has an ipad that runs wireless. The sad part is she does not know how to use it at all and does not even pick it up. Could I get a part of some kind that would run the internet on this computer wireless or is this computer too old?

Thanks again!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Glad things are running better :thumbsup:

Go to Start then to Run/Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply.
Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Wireless options include fitting an internal wireless card or using an external USB dongle type.
Is a wireless router available for the computer/device to connect to, we can look at this further when we have the computer completely sorted.

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Thank you for including instructions for the screenshot! I am here to learn and that being said....I would have had to ask you how!

Screenshot.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the screenshot which as I suspected is showing a recovery partition on the HDD.

Not all set ups are the the same so try the following for us please;

Click "Start" and type "Msconfig" into the Run/Search box bottom left of the screen.

Press "Enter." This will hopefully open a menu for bypassing the recovery partition.

Click "Startup." Remove the check mark next to the recovery partition.

Press "Enter." Reboot the computer to save the settings you have configured.