Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't boot, has power, DRAM LED red.

• Please log in to reply

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
My PC is the same as it was a week/month/etc ago, I've changed no parts or anything, but after rebooting it a few minutes ago (when I woke up it turned on fine etc) it wouldn't boot after shutting down. When I look inside I see the DRAM LED is turned on and red, instead of not being turned on whatsover. The components are the following, to the best of my knowledge;

ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen 3 Motherboard
Intel i5 2500k Processor
16GB G-Skill 1600hz RAM (4x 4GB sticks, 2x pairs)
GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB Video Card
850W OCZ Power Supply

Advertisements

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Update:

Okay, I figured I'd give it a try (try turning her on that is) because why the [bleep] not. Well, I hit the power button, and it boots. What the...?!?!?!?! I have a new symptom though, or at least more info. The first time the PC finally boots, after having this red DRAM LED issue, the time/date are all jacked up (i.e. 1990, or 1601, etc). Maybe this sheds some light for perhaps 1 person who might know what's wrong. For now though, I'm scared to turn it off for fear it won't boot up for another day or 2 again. :(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello GhostLoad

The red memory LED and the time and date being off could point to either a bad BIOS chip, bad BIOS setting or a faulty/dead CMOS battery, the latter is unlikely (but not impossible) to prevent the computer booting up though.

Has the computer ever been overclocked.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Yes, I overclocked it, and it has a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ heatsink on the CPU, with 2 fans (one on either side). Also, I'm quite certain (as you also know) that a bad CMOS battery would only really make me have to set the time/date every time I turn the rig on, and wouldn't keep me from booting. Right? The super odd thing to me is that it'll boot once, and then won't boot again for about a whole day of attempts. When it came up today (I tried it again after I got home from work) I got this screen before anything else... I'll put the screenshot up here, that I took with my phone. After this odd screen, I went into my BIOS setup and noticed something peculiar; the time/date kept changing (on it's own, every second or so for about 3-5 seconds) whenever I tried to set the time and date. This happened before, on one of the successful boots, but not on others, in which I was able to set the time/date fine. I also noticed when I went to a different option page on my BIOS Advanced Settings, and then went back to the page with the time/date, it always was the same result. I'll post an image of that as well. Anymore info I can provide to help with the "investigation"?

I'm curious, if it's one of the 1st two things you listed, what does that mean for me... :(

The strange screen after it actually booted up today.

The time/date that it keeps going back to, the few times that I was unable to set it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

I'm curious, if it's one of the 1st two things you listed, what does that mean for me

In the past a bad BIOS chip effectively meant the end of the MB as the BIOS chip was soldered in place and replacing it was beyond the average user, sending the MB away for repair was often not a cost effective solution as a new MB may have cost less, nowadays however most if not all BIOS chips are held in place by a plastic locking device and can be removed using a BIOS chip removal tool, see example http://www.google.co...Q9QEwAg&dur=513 hopefully this will not be required though, see below.

I suggest that you restore the MBs default factory settings by following my guide below;

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

NB: Be sure to leave the CMOS battery out for a few minutes and to ensure that there is no residual charge remaining in the MB/BIOS chip press the power button on the case for a second or two, this is often called "flea power" an explanation I found on Google;

In technology Jargon flea power is residual electricity or current often stored on circuit boards (in power supplies, mother boards etc) that remains charged even after all power cords and batteries have been removed. To drain flea power, remove batteries and power cords then attempt to 'turn on' your device. You may be surprised to see a flicker of light, or a twitch in a fan. I have seen some devices run upwards of 30 seconds without any batteries or power cords ~ just from electricity stored in capacitors in the power supply or on a circuit board.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
When it came up the other day (since I tried multiple times a day, and it was booting up all the way about once per those days) I ran Malwarebytes & AVG, and both deleted a couple of little things (something about PvP, I played League for a while so I assume it's related). Since the scans, it's booted up every time. Could there have been some corrupt file and/or malicious file keeping it from booting SOMETIMES? That's the weird part to me.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
As you have mentioned a possible malware attack that was picked up by both Malwarebytes & AVG I must hold off until it is confirmed that the computer is malware free, please see the canned text below;

You may indeed have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Additional guidance;

1: Do not create a topic on the malware forum unless you have a malware issue that you cannot resolve yourself.
2: If you do need to start a topic there provide a link to this thread so that steps that have already been taken can be checked.
3: As the Malware Techs are extremely busy you may not receive an instant reply, if you have waited for three days then post in the Waiting Room http://www.geekstogo...e-waiting-room/ be sure to identify the issue as malware related and provide a link to your malware topic.