Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer running slow when the internet is used.

• Please log in to reply

Marcusmmc23

Marcusmmc23

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
I've searched the forum for others who have seemingly the same problems as me. I was not really able to find anything that would help me out so from what I've read, I'll provide you this information.

I am using a W7 Ultimate 64 bit install on a custom built machine. EVGA Z68 SLI motherboard with an Intel i7 2700K and 16 GB of RAM. I'm not overclocking and don't have any heat issues being reported on the system including my GPU.

My problem is baffling me. If I were to steam a movie on my system, my computer perfomance seems to drop significantly. My mouse will jump all over the screen if I try to close a window. Strangly enough, if my kids stream a movie on my wife's laptop, my desktop performance drops as if the movie were streaming on my computer.

I've done speedtests on my PC while streaming a movie on my wife's laptop and I am getting good results. I don't know where to begin.

I understand you pros are all volunteers and I certainly appreciate all the help you provide. I look forward to hearing from you to figure out this strange issue.

Marcus

Advertisements

Marcusmmc23

Marcusmmc23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I'm still having issues with PC performance. Did I post this in the incorrect forum?

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You posted in the right forum Marcus.

To my mind the bandwidth is being clogged by by streaming to two machines which should incur a lot of buffering issues.

You may get good results on each speed test if one of the machines is off at the time.

What speed do you get from your ISP?

Marcusmmc23

Marcusmmc23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thank you for your reply. I have tried my speed tests with other devices both on and off. I've even tested my internet speed on my computer (the problem one) with a movie streaming on my wife's laptop. These results are approximate:

With all other devices turned off, I get 26 Mbps download
With all other devices on, I get 25 - 26 Mbps
With a movie streaming on a tablet, 20 - 22 Mbps
With a movie streaming on wife's laptop, 16 - 18 Mbps

Strangly enough, it doesn't seem to affect my internet speed but my computers performance. What I notice is that my mouse begins to jump around the screen and when I try to open an application, it doesn't register my clicks. It takes persistant effort and patience to try to manipulate the mouse to where I want it. This only happens when the internet gets a workout, whether it be on my machine or one connected to the network and more noticably when my wife's laptop is the one using it.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
The tablet with being smaller would consume less in terms of streaming hence the figure that you have provided.

Notice the drop with the wife's laptop.

What speed do you get when you are streaming and she is too?

Marcusmmc23

Marcusmmc23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I just tested my internet speed with the laptop streaming a video and my Playstation 3 streaming and my PC streaming HD videos all at once. I got 20.23 Mbps download speed. I was even running a CPU intensive Flight Simulator at the same time. Strangly enough, the Flight Simulator performance (judged by frames per second) being run on my PC is not being affected by this issue. It seems only my mouse performance and possibly keyboard performance are affected. Seems very strange to me.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Mmmm I have to agree that this issue is most peculiar Marcus now that I have seen your latest post.

Perhaps other members may offer their thoughts.

Marcusmmc23

Marcusmmc23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I agree. Doing some more testing, it seems my keyboard operation is fine. It simply seems that my mouse is affected. Therefore, I decided to check for driver updates which there were none. I had an open USB3 port and decided to see if a new USB port would fix the issue and there was no change.

Thank you for the effort!

Marcusmmc23

Marcusmmc23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Doing some more testing to try to narrow down the issue. I unplugged my ethernet cable from the computer and the the issue disappears. I've tried a different mouse and the problem is the same. I am completely baffled. Could it be virus or malware related?

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Well it may be.

Make a new thread in the Malware forum regarding the issues and see what they have to say Marcus.

Marcusmmc23

Marcusmmc23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thank you, I will do that.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You're welcome Marcus and I will follow the thread but please don't expect any replies from me as I am not qualified to answer in that forum.