Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

keyboard and mouse won't work

• Please log in to reply

drdan2429

drdan2429

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My keyboard and mouse will not work. I have swapped both devices out for other one's and they don't work either. I have rebooted the system and keyboard failure blinks as the system boots up. The system is unable to start so startup repair is activated and starts running. I am then asked "Do you want to restore your computer using system restore." Unfortunately I cannot click on the restore tab because the keyboard and mouse don't work, so I am stuck on that screen. Any ideas on what I should/can do? System is Windows 7 Pro. Thanks.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Wireless keyboard/mouse or wired (USB/PS2)?

drdan2429

drdan2429

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Wired - USB.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Does the keyboard work when you boot the computer so you can get into BIOS Setup? If it works there then try a live Linux CD like Slacko Puppy and see if the mouse and keyboard work there. If yes then the problem is with Windows driver. If not then it's a hardware problem, either both keyboards and mice are defective (seems unlikely) or you have a motherboard problem.

Download slacko-5.5-4G.iso 2013-Mar-04 18:24:37 164.5M application/octet-stream

If you don't have a burning program that will burn .iso files get burncdcc, a small FAST no frills iso burning program or ImgBurn, another small, fast and simple burner.

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you.

1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the .iso file you want to burn on cd/dvd ......in this case its puppy linux
3. Select the .iso file
4. Suggestion.... Check the option "Fix close"
5. Click on "Start"

Make sure in the BIOS Setup, the CD/DVD drive is the first boot device. Put the Puppy Linux CD in the drive, then reboot your computer. Puppy will boot and run totally in ram.

drdan2429

drdan2429

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks...sounds like it's a motherboard problem. :upset: