Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slowing down Windows 7 machine [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 7,268 posts
Hello

48 Hour bump

It has been more than 48 hours since my last post.

• do you still need help with this?
  • do you need more time?
  • are you having problems following my instructions?
  • if after 48hrs you have not replied to this thread then it will have to be closed!

Gringo

Advertisements

Onfinals

Onfinals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi,

Sorry for being quit for a while, but my post disappeared after the upgrade or migration a couple of days ago. Happy to see it is back though.

System repair does not fix the OS, it runs for a very long time and says cannot repair.

I am now going to take the HD out, copy it to my other external HD to be able to access the data, and then reformat it.

I have bought a data bridge, so this is turning into a great learning project for me.

THanks for your attempts though. YOu will probably hear from me again as I go through the process.

Speak soon!

L

gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 7,268 posts
Thanks for letting me know

gringo

Onfinals

Onfinals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
No better way to learn by DOING! I am an accountant by background, and have worked as an 'IT Auditor' for the last 8. Discount the last 4 where I think I knew nothing really of IT, so probably on 4. So, I am always learning about IT, and now I feel like a rocket scientist for having learned a bit.

OK, so I got the bridge, and got it working. I found the going tough with the PC seeing the HD as a drive and then not seeing it. Really slow copying from it and having to restart sometimes. I had to resort to only copying two folders from it which I know holds the crown jewels (photos and important letters).

So, then I tried to reformat to NTFS, but progress was REALLY REALLY slow and I gave up. Finally brought it to the techies in the office who now confirmed that the hard drive was/is the last spasms of life and I was a bit lucky to get anything from it.

So, I've learned about bridges, SATA, PATA, IDE drives, what i looks like when the machine finds it hard to work with a sick HD drive and I've learned about the disc manager utility in Windows.

Thanks for patiently helping, and for being able to share my exitement with someone.

Some advice i am going to try, aparently sticking the drive in the freezer helps to recover data, so i'll try just to see. But I'll shop for new HD for PC and make it my main lab machine with Windows 7 (want to put some virtual machines on there). My little dell i'll use to build a dual boot linux and windows machine.

But the key message, you only really learn by doing.

Edited by Onfinals, 05 April 2013 - 10:00 AM.

gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 7,268 posts
Hello

thank you for letting me know and I hope you got off everything that you needed

gringo

gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 7,268 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.