Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with Internet Download Manager Uninstall

• Please log in to reply

Darklighter137

Darklighter137

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Greetings! About a year ago, I downloaded the trail version of Internet Download Manager. When the trial period expired, I decided I didn't want to buy it--therefore, I uninstalled it. After doing so, my internet connection ceased to function. That is, I could connect to the internet, but no application could use it anymore (I confirmed that it was the unistall by using system restore).

I contacted the company and recieved no response. My own clever idea was to use System Restore to turn back the clock on the software so I could disable the browser integration. This worked very well, as I could keep the software installed and perhaps buy it at another time.

Sadly, when I recently decided to switch to Firefox, I ran into a bit of a snag: Everytime I try to download something, a message box complaining about the trial period being over appears, and I am sent to an online store to buy IDM instead of my download.

Since I downloaded the software a year ago, I cannot use System Restore to revert my system to time before I installed it. What, therefore, can I do to fix this problem?

Thank you very much for your time. :tazz:

Advertisements

Destructo Roboto

Destructo Roboto

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
well, you might try getting the files you will need to repair and then get around to uninstalling it again, then you can try repairing the old connection... it might not hurt to see if keeping edonkey on your computer incase your connection fails again, oh, and for awhile I had a continuous internet connection error, i forget how i resolved it, but the important thing is that I had already installed a copy of Avant Browser on my computer which functioned even with internet explorer and its connected ms software unable to connect to the internet including, ironicly enough, Dr. Watson and MS's own error reporting software. So get avant browser and some other stuff on thier, install it, then uninstall your faulty ms software and be done with it... Be warned, thier have been times(no-doubt-mindboggling-numberwise) that my advice and actions proove extremely unwise... for instance thier was this camping trip envolving a tree... but this isnt a nature show. :help: :tazz: ;)

Beware my advice is faulty but amusing... your choice to do it or not :help:

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

well, you might try getting the files you will need to repair and then get around to uninstalling it again, then you can try repairing the old connection... it might not hurt to see if keeping edonkey on your computer incase your connection fails again, oh, and for awhile I had a continuous internet connection error, i forget how i resolved it, but the important thing is that I had already installed a copy of Avant Browser on my computer which functioned even with internet explorer and its connected ms software unable to connect to the internet including, ironicly enough, Dr. Watson and MS's own error reporting software.  So get avant browser and some other stuff on thier, install it, then uninstall your faulty ms software and be done with it... Be warned, thier have been times(no-doubt-mindboggling-numberwise) that my advice and actions proove extremely unwise... for instance thier was this camping trip envolving a tree... but this isnt a nature show.  :help:    :tazz:    ;)

Beware my advice is faulty but amusing... your choice to do it or not  :help:

View Post

I would choose to not use the info above. Lets post a HiJack This log and see what is going on inside your PC. It is probably just a matter of deleting all of the "things" this program installed to your machine.

Edited by phybyr0ptyk, 07 June 2005 - 12:44 AM.

Darklighter137

Darklighter137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thank you both. In regards to the second poster, as of right now, that would not be a good idea... I currently have some malware issues I am trying to sort out. Once those have been taking care of, I would love your help. Thanks. =)

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Well, you should definately post a HiJack This log here

Especially if you are attempting Malware removal, an expert will help you.