Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need new PSU or something else? External Drives disappearing.

• Please log in to reply

LesPaul30

LesPaul30

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I just did a new build-
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z77
Cpu: Intel i7-3770k (Ivy Bridge)
Ram: 16GB Corsair DDR 3 RAM at 1333 Mhz
Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition

Here'a the problem tho: I updated all the drivers as best that I know. I can't see that I missed anything in that dept. I have two external Seagate drives at 3TB a piece (my home theatre drives for Apple TV) that when plugged in they disappear in Windows 7 after a few minutes or sometimes immeidately on boot. They are then recognized as 'unknown' in the device manager under the USB section though I was originally able to see them for a little bit and get into them.. Sometimes they are in the POST an sometimes they are not. They are plugged into their own power sources. They are the Seagate Backup+, and the Extended. These are being used on the USB 2.0 inputs as well as the 3.0 inputs on the case.

I also have four internal drives right now. Two are new- one 240GB SSD and one HDD both on Sata III 6g/s inputs on the Asus. I then have two of the older HDD's from my previous build plugged into the Sata 3g/s inputs.

The PSU I am using is an older Thermaltake 750W unit from my previous build as well. THis was used for roughly 5 years around 24/7. Do you think that this is starting to fade and needs to get replaced hence the External drives acting funny? Everything else seems to be working fine, except the internal fans seem dim on the LED's but that could just be how they really are..

I'm at a loss here- any input would be appreciated.

Edited by LesPaul30, 16 March 2013 - 11:20 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello LesPaul30

Can I ask what you are using as a graphics solution the MB/CPU or add on video card.

Your assessment of a tired PSU could be bang on the money, so that`s where we will look first.

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

LesPaul30

LesPaul30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Attached.

Just noticing too that my HDD temps seen very high.. or does speedfan just really not look at these that accurately? I've never paid attention to that sensor before.

Edited by LesPaul30, 16 March 2013 - 11:12 AM.

LesPaul30

LesPaul30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
..didn't go up the first time.

Attached Thumbnails

• 31613.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The HDD temp reading is high but unfortunately the Speedfan readings are inconclusive as there are readings not showing that we need to see, please run HWMonitor and again provide a screenshot for us http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

LesPaul30

LesPaul30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Here you gou

Attached Thumbnails

• CPUID.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Please remove any testing software you do not wish to keep when you are ready.

HWMonitor is also not showing us what we need which is the readings for the +5 and +12V rails on the PSU, lets see if we have any luck with Speccy http://www.piriform.com/speccy expand the motherboard tab and post a screenshot for us.

One other check that you can do is in the BIOS, those readings are only helpful though if they are not what they should be, this is because the computer is under the least amount of load when you are in the BIOS and the readings can change dramatically when you start using the computer even for browsing etc.

NB: A common cause of overheating hardware is over voltage from the +12V rail on a PSU.

LesPaul30

LesPaul30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok- doesn't look like its being shown. I will check the Bios when I finish posting here... since this is not being shown could this be an indicator that something is off or is it just that there isn't a sensor on the MB here..

Attached Thumbnails

• Speccy.jpg

LesPaul30

LesPaul30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok here is what Bios said:

CPU= 1.102V
3.3V= 3.34V
5V= 5.16
12v=12.192V

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
It is most likely that the ASUS software is preventing other software getting the readings.

The readings are fine in the BIOS but as I said earlier they cannot be relied upon, do you use the ASUS monitoring software that is on the disk supplied with the MB.

Advertisements

LesPaul30

LesPaul30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yep- found it -

Attached Thumbnails

• asus jpg.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks, all good there :thumbsup:

I asked earlier if you were using the onboard video solution or and add on video card, which is it please, if add add on card what is the brand and model name or number please.

LesPaul30

LesPaul30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
EVGA Nvdia GTX 550 ti

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are looking at around 550W for all of your installed hardware including the case fans so if the PSU is functioning as it should you have plenty of power available so would not be the cause.

Watch a video or do some gaming and see if the ASUS software readings are still stable.

I note that Speedfan is only showing 2 fan speed readings are all fans confirmed as working.

LesPaul30

LesPaul30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I went and replaced the PSU- night and day- that was it. I threw in an 850W and everything is working as it should.. The HDD temps are also normal.. hopefully I didn'y do any damage! It was only on the dying 750 for a few days.. Thanks again for your help!