Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway laptop won't start up.

• Please log in to reply

Nah225

Nah225

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, I'm having a problem with my laptop and I hope someone from here can help me out.

I've had my laptop for 3 years now, (haven't used it for about 6 months because it wasn't working) and it has always been working perfectly. It's speed is pretty decent and it rarely ever froze up on me. I use it almost every day and it was flawless. One night, I was on it as usual, and there was no problem with it. I put my laptop to sleep, and I went to sleep myself. The next morning, I turned it on, then it shut off on me (it seemed like the power had died). I made sure my charger was plugged in (along with my battery) and I turned it back on. I started up, but 10 seconds later, it shut down again, and since then it hasn't turned on.

When I plug my charger in, I can see a red LED light on, which means that my charger is working, however nothing happens when I press the power button. I have tried holding the power button down for around 30 seconds with the laptop unplugged to try to train whatever was left in the computer, but that hasn't worked.

I have a gateway t-series, model W305I. I'm wondering if there's something else I can do to try to fix it, or if I should just go ahead and buy a new laptop.

Thanks for any help!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: Nah225

Have you tried using battery power only and vice versa removing the battery and using only the AC adapter, if so what was the outcome in both instances please.

When I plug my charger in, I can see a red LED light on, which means that my charger is working,

Sorry but this is not always the case as it only shows that some power is present,

I have tried holding the power button down for around 30 seconds with the laptop unplugged

Was the battery also removed.

NB: Please do not duplicate your topics as it may lead to you being offered the same guidance at differing times and lead to confusion as to which and who`s guidance you are following.

Please continue at this thread where we will do our best to help you resolve the issue, your duplicate topics will be closed so as to avoid you receiving possible multiple replies, thank you for understanding.

Nah225

Nah225

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have tried with the battery in/out as well as the AC adapter in/out. My laptop still wouldn't turn on.

And I know, I'm sorry. My Internet was lagging and double posted a thread. I reported it though when it happened so if would be deleted. :P

I'm not new to being on forums, so I know basic rules and such.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
In your OP you told us that the power button was held down for 30 seconds while the battery was remove, try the same procedure with not only both sources of power removed but the Ram also, this will get rid of any possible charge that the Ram may be holding.

While the Ram is removed try powering up the notebook to see if you get any error beeps, post back with an update please.

Nah225

Nah225

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm horrible with hardware, hopefully I won't break anything, lol. I'll give it a try, thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
May help http://www.crucial.c...all/sodimm.aspx

Nah225

Nah225

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

In your OP you told us that the power button was held down for 30 seconds while the battery was remove, try the same procedure with not only both sources of power removed but the Ram also, this will get rid of any possible charge that the Ram may be holding.

While the Ram is removed try powering up the notebook to see if you get any error beeps, post back with an update please.

Nothing happened. Just a battery light was on when I plugged in my adapter, but it didn't turn on or make any sounds.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Just to clarify, does the notebook normally give out a single beep when it boots up successfully.

Nah225

Nah225

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Just to clarify, does the notebook normally give out a single beep when it boots up successfully.

No.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
That`s a pity as it would have helped with the trouble shooting :(

It is back to trying to establish if it is a power issue I`m afraid;

When I plug my charger in, I can see a red LED light on, which means that my charger is working

Is the red LED on the charger itself and if so is it normally red or green.

All I can suggest now is that if you can, borrow a compatible AC adapter to try or have the present AC adapter and battery checked at a local tech store as they often have universal adapters/chargers such as the example at the attached link http://www.walmart.c...er-65W/15268209

Nah225

Nah225

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No, the light is on my laptop. I don't fully remember, but I think it was blue, and now it's red.

My charger isn't the problem though. I already checked it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
How did you check the charger.
Does the charger have also have an LED on it.
Is the power jack port on the notebook secure.

Can you leave the notebook disconnected from the mains power overnight with the lid open in case it starts up.

If the notebook does by chance start up let us know asap so that I can provide the information for how to recalibrate the battery.

Nah225

Nah225

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I checked it on another laptop, and my computer light shouldn't turn on when I plug in my charger if it's not working anyway.

There's no light on the charger, and what do you mean by secure?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

and what do you mean by secure?

A common problem with notebooks is a damaged DC power jack, types of damage are the jack coming detached from the MB which is obvious because they move/are loose when you plug in the AC adapter, less obvious damage is to the contacts inside the power jack, both can be caused by nothing more than everyday use - wear and tear, some info http://www.instructa...-laptop-comput/

You have tried the charger on another notebook and ruled it out so trying a replacement battery is the next logical step, as I previously suggested a visit to a tech store may be in order to see if they have a compatible battery that you can try.