Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to reset PC

• Please log in to reply

Maxwell420

Maxwell420

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Right i got a PC recently and i supidly left my nephew to use it for a few months and needless to say he has completly ruined it its running slow as anything it can barely load this page so, I need to reset it completly i want EVERYTHING off it just want it to be vanilla. I dont have a Windows disk and im not prepared to buy one (im a cheapskate) i dont have any DVD-R to download a pirated windows alothough i do have one saved if theres a way i could install it without a disk that would help greatly.

Pretty much what i want is a free way to reset my PC im not a complete n00b when it comes to computers but im no expert im running on Windows Vista Home Basic 32 Bit, the OS i have saved is XP Black Edition 32 Bit, the PC is a Packard Bell IMEDIA B2217 UKi just want it to run like it would when it was new.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Maxwell420,

Welcome to Geeks to go! :)

Right i got a PC recently and i supidly left my nephew to use it for a few months and needless to say he has completly ruined it

Rules that I live by:

Never give access to your computer to friends or family who appear to be clueless about what they are doing. Otherwise you'll come home from school/work one day and your computer will be trashed.

I learned that lesson the hard way myself!

I dont have a Windows disk and im not prepared to buy one (im a cheapskate) i dont have any DVD-R to download a pirated windows alothough i do have one saved if theres a way i could install it without a disk that would help greatly.

When you joined, you were asked to read our Terms of Use. Under 3.p. it states:

p. The posting of links or references to warez or any other type of illegal software is strictly forbidden. By doing so you risk having your user account terminated without warning. We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software or services illegally.

I will not assist you in finding a way to install the pirated XP OS that you have saved. Pirated Operating Systems are not only illegal but can also be a security risk to you which can make your computer susceptible to a wide variety of malware infections, remote attacks, exposure of personal information, and identity theft.

So, you have a couple options here:
  • Clean up the mess your nephew left you with.
  • Accessing the Recovery Partition by continually tapping F11 upon reboot and setting back to Factory Condition, or
  • Purchasing a disc to install a legal copy of Windows.

I do understand your frustration and realize this is one learning experience you'll never forget. I would be happy to help you in any way I can.

If you would, please follow the instructions below so I can verify that the Recovery Partition is intact:
  • Go to Start then to Run
  • Type in compmgmt.msc and click OK
  • On the left side click on Disk Management
  • On the right side you will see your hard drive.
  • Expand the middle pane to full view.

Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please click on the Print Screen key on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key.

• Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Make sure the window is open all the way so I can see everything on the top right window.

On Vista/Win7 you could also use the snipping tool and click File > Save As... and save to your desktop.

Please attach it to your next post.

Thank you,

Donna :)

Edited by DonnaB, 16 March 2013 - 10:23 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
IS this a brand name system and if so which brand? We can then find the correct Recovery partition steps for you.