Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway Laptop Seeking A New Lease On Life. Can You Help Me? [Solved]

• Please log in to reply

gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 7,268 posts
lets run their removal tool from here - http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities

it is the top one

Advertisements

Sinking Fast

Sinking Fast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi Gringo,

Okay, I did it, acutally ran it twice, only because I checked Program Files and one (AVG 2012) of the two files (AVG 10 and AVG 2012) was still there after the first run. Based on how the program ran on the second run (it didn't shut down the computer and required a reboot as in the first run) the remaining folder (AVG 2012) may have been empty. I didn't open it after the 1st run, I saw it and concluded that folder and contents were still there. On re-checking Program Files after the 2nd run, the AVG 2012 file / folder remains but it is empty.

Checked the Task Manager and those two avg exe files are no longer there either. Also ran CCleaner and no AVG removals were done!!! :thumbsup:

So, should I monitor the computer for the next few days and report back? I know you must be eager to move on to more exciting challenges. Let me know, and again thanks for your time and attention to my issues!!

gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 7,268 posts
Of course check things over for the next few days and let me know how things are doing

gringo

Sinking Fast

Sinking Fast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi Gringo,

WOW, I see we are very "popular", over 1100 views. Or, are those mostly us, going back and forth on issues?

Okay, will monitor the system for a few days and report back. But for now, there are two recurring items, one old and one new, that I'm hoping you can shed some light on.

Old Item: "Script running on page...Impact on IE browser..Select Yes or No". The message appeared again today while on the "Geek to Go Forum website". Don't recall seeing it elsewhere. Do we need to address this or should I just make a selection choice and forget about it?

New Item: Could the way my system start up (See below) be the reason for why the laptop behaves or process things great one day and not so great the next day? (This issue is not really new, I never reported it before. But I'm wondering if there is a cause and effect here.)

Start-Up Description:
When the laptop starts after a complete shut down, it never goes directly to the Windows XP page. Instead the following black pages come up before the Windows XP page:

1)A black screen with the Gateway logo in the middle and two notations (bottom, lower right hand): F10 Boot Menu and F2 BIOS Settings

2) A black screen with F11, To Start Recovery 1, 2 (top, upper left hand)

3) A black screen with a lot of white writing (goes by quickly) but says something mostly to the effect of: Please Select the Operating System and something about Trouble shooting and F8. (Sometimes it says, "Resuming Windows" or something closely related but I don't think it appears after a full shut down.)

Then the normal / expected colorful pages appear: Windows XP screen, Black Screen, Blue Screen, Windows is starting up, the Welcome screen, "Gates Theme Song" (music), and finally my desktop.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks. (Oops, and now it's sticking again on your website, must be the "script thing" or that my virus scanner started!)

Sinking Fast

Sinking Fast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi Gringo,

Update: It's back again: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services (reported by Data Execution Prevention).

Data Execution Prevention - Microsoft Windows
To help protect your computer Windows has closed this program

Name: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services
Publisher: Microsoft Corp

Previously, I don't recall or perhaps noticed that a technical report came with it for reporting to Microsoft. Listed below are some information captured from the report for your review.

Generic Host Process for Win 32 Services encountered a problem and needed to close
This error occurred on 4/7/13 at 7:59:07 PM.
1)Error signature for the report: Event Type: BEX; P1: svchost.exe

Error Report Contents

C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERfbe3.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERfbe3.dir00\appcompat.txt

At this juncture I don't know if this kind of problem still falls in your domain (Virus, Malware, Spyware, etc.) or if I should start a new topic in another Forum area, and if the latter, please tell me which Forum to go to. I will leave this decision to your discretion since I'm clueless here. But more importantly, I do appreciate all the assistance you have given me in trying to resolve my evolving issues.

As it stands, I'm continuing to have periodic issues, one day all is fine and next day, it's not so fine. For example, I encountered several problems last night, tried to close a hanging / non-reponsive program, and went to Task Manager to close. Got stuck there and ended up with 35 opened copies of Task Manager! Indeed, I did not hit the TM button 35 times but I certainly had to do so to close 35 copies.

I will await further instructions from you at your earliest convenience. Thanks.