Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop "freezes" when connected to the Internet

• Please log in to reply

Sniklefritz

Sniklefritz

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Me and a few others on this website have this problem. When I connect to the Internet on my laptop, I am unable to open any programs on my computer.

This includes non-Internet related programs such as Microsoft word or even the disk defragmenter. The loading wheel shows up and it acts as if it's loading, but then it stops. I can't even shut the computer down without using the power button.

I've tried with several different wifi connections but the problem persists. However if I turn the connection finder off on my computer it works fine! Until I turn it back on! I have no clue what to do! D:

Any information or knowledge of others suffering from this problem would be appreciated.

Edited by Sniklefritz, 20 March 2013 - 11:32 AM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What is the make and model number of the computer?
What is the Operating System?
What happens if you connect using a Ethernet cable?
Did it ever work? If so, was the wireless driver updated around the time it stopped working? ANy otehr changes at that time, hardware, software, your location, new ISP?

phoenixxx

phoenixxx

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi i have the same problem as he!

when i dont connect to the internet, my laptop is fine but once when i connect to the internet my laptop will became slow and then it freezes. I cant even shut it down so i manually turn it off by pressing the power button.
And also i cant update because once i connect to the internet it freezes.
can someone help?

my Laptop is Dell, Windows 7.
ISP PLDTMYDSL(wifi) [but i guess the isp or the wifi router is not a problem because my friend can connect on the wifi with no problem like mine so i think its really on my laptop...]

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Can you answer the questions I asked Sniklefritz please.

Also, try booting to Safe Mode with Networking and see how it runs.

bigdad

bigdad

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ya i am having the same problem... I find it very strange considering that i never had this problem until I installed McAfee on my computer... Now the system bogs down sooo much that my mouse pointer wont even move for approx 10 mins, sometimes not at all.. I unplugged the ethernet cable and almost instantly my cursor moves, windows all open, everything works all at once... Why would my internet (ethernet) cable have that control over the computer to "bog it down" and what is really going on when this is happening which is what i'd really like to know... Almost makes me think of a virus of somesort?? Anyone at all have any clues to what and/or solution to problem without leaving the cord out because i was at point of just unplugging for a split second and plugging back in so it gives me a few mins of internet time b4 bogging down again

tripleG

tripleG

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm having the same problem too. I'm using a compaq laptop with windows 7 (thats all I know about make/model) and I dont have an ethernet cable because I use my phone as a portable hotspot. It used to work fine until a couple days ago, and i did download a couple things the day it started messing up, but after running in safe mode with networking I downloaded avast and all threats were dealt with but it still wont work

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I'd suggest doing a system restore to before you downloaded stuff, see if that resolves the problem.

Click Start, type system restore and press Enter to start.

edhill

edhill

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the same problem , I have a Toshiba satelite L505D-S5983. I freeze randomly when on the internet. I have windows 7 ultimate. I think it has something to do with recent updates. I tried to do a restore and all my restore points were gone.

Edited by edhill, 03 May 2013 - 09:08 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You could try backing out the most recent updates, see if that helps.

Control Panel, Programs and Features.
Click on View installed updates.

Scroll to the right and click on the column header words Installed on. That will sort the updates by date.

prh0w311

prh0w311

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same issue too. Ive done a bit of troubleshooting so this is where Im at. My laptop is a 7 year old Toshiba Satellite with XP service pack 3. I ran an Avast quick scan and found 1 threat, "win32 installcore", I deleted. Avast suggest running a boot up scan when restarting computer, i did, found quite a few corrupted files all associated with "win32 injector infection", I had them all deleted. Unfortunately I still have the same problem. I can access the internet in safe mode with networking no problem (theres no volume though, even though there is when I run my computer normally).

I havent update programs recently. I have been downloading files off The Pirate Bay regularly though... Maybe I should reformat the hard drive?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I agree, do a Clean Install with format.

tripleG

tripleG

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have done 3 system restores already among other things but nothing sees to be working so far, and now safe mode with networking is having problems too and i suddenly can't download anything

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
There are now 5 people in this one thread saying they have the same problem. Please, each of you start your own thread and include as much detail as possible.

What the problem is, in detail.
Make and model of computer.
What Operating System, and 32 or 64 bit.
What you have tried thus far.

Sniklefritz

Sniklefritz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, sorry it's been a while since I updated. I'm using an HP EliteBook 8560w. My processor is an intel core i5-2540M. I am running a 64-bit operating system. I haven't tried connecting to the Internet via an Ethernet cable but I have connected to a printer with one. The problem occurred again. Other than that there haven't been any other changes. I try connecting to my phone's hotspot and a home wifi but it froze my computer again. However when I connected to a hotel wifi connection the problem was nonexistent! But it's returned with a vengeance! Please let me know what you think.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You didn't answer one of the questions: Did it ever work?

What manufacturer is your wireless, Intel? If so, see here, see if this helps: PDF - Turning off the Intel PROSet Wireless Utility Manager Enabling the ...