Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot power on PC – what is green LED at rear of power supply

• Please log in to reply

911pchelp

911pchelp

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
PC won't power on – suspect power supply
Originally had the problem (see http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1) but it mysteriously corrected itself.(Phillpower2 was kind enough to give me good information.)

Now, it's really dead – ordered a new PSU and will install, but have a question:
the green LED on the back of the power supply is lit, even though the main power has been unplugged for two days - WHY?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
This could indicate that the PSU is still holding a charge.
With the PSU plugged into the mains and all switches in the off position.
Both together, push and hold in the power on and reset button for about 10 seconds.
Did the LED go out?

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Questions:
- all switches in the off position? (inside CPU?)
- assume power on is main PC "power on" switch on front panel (right?)
- reset button ? (inside CPU?) - only things on rear of PSU are: the mains connection; the green LED; and a voltage selector switch (set to 115)

Held "power on" switch (in front of PC) "in" and watched the green LED – it blinked on and off – but stayed on after "power on" switch was released.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

all switches in the off position? (inside CPU?)

I was referring to the wall socket, any power strips and the switch on the back of the PSU.

assume power on is main PC "power on" switch on front panel (right?)

Yes.

reset button ? (inside CPU?) - only things on rear of PSU are: the mains connection; the green LED; and a voltage selector switch (set to 115)

No. The reset switch is usually close to power on button but little bit smaller. (makes the computershut down and then restart) Most but not all cases have one.

If you unplug the power lead from the mains wall outlet, does the green light go out?

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
The back of the PSU has NO reset switch (see my previous response).

There is NO reset 'button' on the front of the PC.

The PC was unplugged (mains disconnected) for >2 days (see my initial description).

Not sure it will matter in a couple of days because was informed yesterday that the new PSU will be available in 24-48 hours (from Thurs morning), but Thank You

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the update, sorry my suggestions did not answer your question.