Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop black screen w/cursor at startup

• Please log in to reply

vikkibear

vikkibear

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5057
Windows 7 Home Premium
Bought new from Toshiba and been using it for about three years.

In the last two days my laptop have been automatically updating Windows during shutting down.

Today I turned the laptop on and it will only boot past the Windows splash screen then it will show the black screen with the mouse cursor. When I move the mouse cursor, the screen dims.

I have tried booting it in last known good configuration and ran system restore to before it have the Windows updates installed but it did not solve the problem. I also ran the startup repair but it did not find any problems to fix.

It could only boot in safe mode and debugging mode. I am using safe mode with networking now to post here.

Chkdsk in command prompt:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Apexkpkv>chkdsk
The type of the file system is NTFS.
The volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk
might report errors when no corruption is present.
Volume label is TI105846W0F.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
538624 file records processed.
File verification completed.
616 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.
8 EA records processed.
45 reparse records processed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
651820 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.
0 unindexed files recovered.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
538624 file SDs/SIDs processed.
Security descriptor verification completed.
56599 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
36648816 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.
The Volume Bitmap is incorrect.
Windows found problems with the file system.
Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.

233228287 KB total disk space.
105123828 KB in 470702 files.
218996 KB in 56600 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
649327 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
127236136 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
58307071 total allocation units on disk.
31809034 allocation units available on disk.

C:\Users\Apexkpkv>

I ran chkdsk/f as it suggested in command prompt and it was scheduled to run at the next startup. I restart the computer and it scanned the computer for problems at startup. It did not find any problems. After attempting to search and fix problems, the computer continue to boot and it came to the black screen with the mouse cursor. I can hear the disk drive still running and the fan is still working.

I don't have a Windows 7 CD for it to boot from since the laptop already came with the installed operating system.

What else can I do to fix my laptop and have it boot normally again?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Run chkdsk /r and System File Checker (SFC) from the Recovery Console
  • Boot your Vista or Windows 7 installation DVD
  • When you see "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", press Enter
  • At the "Install Windows" screen, click on Repair your computer at lower left
  • At the System Recovery Options screen, make note of the drive letter assigned to your boot drive (normally C:) and click Next
  • At the Chose a Recovery Tool window, click on Command Prompt. You will be sitting at X:\Sources directory
  • Run chkdsk then SFC
  • If you did not note the drive letter of your boot disk, you can enter bcdedit and look at the osdevice line to see what it is.
  • For chkdsk, type chkdsk c: /r and press Enter (use the letter from above if not C:).
  • For sfc, type sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows and press Enter (use the letter from above)
Let either run to completion undisturbed.

If you don't have a install DVD, you can download a legal copy here: Windows 7 Direct Download Links

Make sure you get the same version you have installed: 32 or 64 bit; Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate. Use a program like ImgBurn to create the install DVD from the .iso file you download.

vikkibear

vikkibear

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have ran chkdsk/r when I was able to boot from the .iso image DVD when I first got it burned. It took 12 hours to get to 17 percent complete then it froze at 17 percent and I let it run for another 12 hours. It is still frozen at 17 percent complete. I close the command prompt window and start a new one to run scf/scannow. When I run scf/scannow, it tell me that a pending scan is scheduled and I need to restart the computer. When I restart the computer, the computer boot to a black screen with a blinking underscore at the top corner of the left screen. The laptop is not able to load into Safe Mode anymore. Continuing pressing the F-keys from the start just makes the computer make a beeping sound. The only function it will go to is F-12 which is the boot reference. I have tried booting from the .iso image DVD again, but it will freeze at the Windows splash screen for a long time and then it will go into the black screen with the mouse cursor; if not that screen then it will go into the black screen with the blinking underscore.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
When you press F12 and select the CD/DVD drive, does it actually try to boot from there or does is switch back to trying to boot from the hard drive. Usually ther CD/DVD drive has a light on it that blinks when it's being accessed.

If you can get to the command prompt again, run chkdsk /f instead of chkdsk /r and see if it completes. It doesn't try to do a surface scan, just checks the existing file system so may complete and get you at least back to where you weer.

IN either case, check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics

Again, get the .iso image and create a bootable CD to run the hard drive diagnostic.

vikkibear

vikkibear

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
When I press F12 and choose to boot from CD/DVD, it continues booting and tells me to press any key to boot from CD/DVD. When I press Enter on the keyboard, it loads the Windows splash screen and I can hear the CD/DVD drive or the DVD spinning. Then it went onto the black screen and stayed there. If I don't press the F12 key, it will now either give me the black screen or tell me that there is a disk read error and to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart. So when I restart, I just attempt to boot from DVD again from F12.

vikkibear

vikkibear

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
After multiple attempts in using the recovery DVD and would not work, I took the laptop to Best Buy Geeks Squad. They ran a diagnostic and advised me to change the hard disk drive. I was told if it won't work then they will accept a return. So I got the new hdd and use the recovery DVD and it works. My laptop is back working now.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That's good to hear, thanks for letting me know.