Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Planned downtime for server move

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Break out your cardboard boxes, bubble wrap, packing tape and markers... Don't want to break or lose anything when we move!

It's actually much less dramatic, and less worrisome than physically moving. We have a new server placed in a new data center, and we plan to move this site (data) to it early next week. Most likely Tuesday evening (3/26/1013). There will be an hour or two of downtime, baring any unexpected surprises.

I'll update this topic as we get closer and have a time frame scheduled. I'll also update when the move is completed, and you can report any issues here.

Why the move? New server(s)! Lots of redundancy... RAID, warm spare (database), cold spare (hardware), redundant power, hot swap components, etc. Modernize... newer generation low power CPUs, SSDs, gobs of RAM, lots of drives, more room for virtualization/development... Closer to server staff. :cool:

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Had some delays, looks like move will occur Wednesday night. Will keep original post updated as I have more info. :cool:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
The best laid plans... now scheduled for Friday.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Moving about 7PM EDT 03/29/2013. Should take less than an hour.

edit: Server move completed.

Edited by admin, 29 March 2013 - 06:15 PM.

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Nice place, and no need to decorate!

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

OK from Aussie now.......

Even though I read and visit, I have rarely posted recently.

Would this move be a reason why my password was not able to logon until I requested a reset yesterday ??

I had no problems up to the new board arrived.

Thank You .

RobertJones2

RobertJones2

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am not a total geek I was around when the first comps appeared, I even remember cardboard floppy disks. I need a reminder on how to enteran'@' when writing an email address on a desktop with wndows 7. Please helpppppp.

Txreb

Txreb

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi robt. Ice been around since floppy too. My keys,suddenly quit working on hp laptop. I've had it happen b 4 but long time ago. Don't recall how I fixed .please help

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

Hi robt. Ice been around since floppy too. My keys,suddenly quit working on hp laptop. I've had it happen b 4 but long time ago. Don't recall how I fixed .please help

Hi Txreb,

Welcome to GeeksToGo! :)

This is not the best place to ask your question concerning your keyboard not working properly. I am sure someone can help you much better if you start a topic in one of the respective sub-forums here.

Thank you,
Donna :)