Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDD only recognized by bios

• Please log in to reply

stinkyhat

stinkyhat

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Here is the prooblem

I have an Acer Aspire 5755G and a few days ago when I came back home it was in sleep mode but wouldn't turn on. I turned it off and on again and got a message like " No bootable device. Insert a bootable cd/dvd and press any key". I went to bios and my hdd was detected there so i restarted it to try again. I got the same error message so I put a windows 8 dvd in and booted from it. There were no partitions detected so I did the same thing again and started formatting the C drive. Sadly it froze there (i think) so after about 30 mins I turned it off. Since then windows setup won't find any partiotions even if I load the drivers. The "list disk" command shows nothing and chkdsk only says that the drive is NTFS. I've tried changing from AHCI to IDE sata in the bios (although i have no idea what it means) but nothing seems to change. I've also tried plugging in and out the hdd. Sometimes (in rare occasions), if the hdd is seen in the boot menu it boots from it but if i choose repair it says that the drive on which windows is installed is locked.
I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software problem. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Hello Stinky and welcome to Geeks To Go.

It sounds to me like your hard drive has died mate.

Was this an upgrade to Windows 8 from 7?

stinkyhat

stinkyhat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No, I had a perfectly fine working windows 8 but one day the screen had went black. I thought it was a windows issue so I tried formatting everything and installing it again without any luck tho :(

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I'm a bit confused here because Acer ship that box in either Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit) or Windows 7 that has been upgraded to Windows 8 (32 or 64 bit).

Acers normal practice is not to ship any OS disks though, putting the onus on customers to make their own back to factory recovery disks.

You, however, mentioned a Windows 8 disk.

stinkyhat

stinkyhat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
My computer came with no OS so I got a windows 7 which was later upgraded to windows 8.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Ok well the Windows 8 upgrade disk would not work as a stand alone install disk without Windows 7, or other applicable operating system, being already on the machine.

The windows 8 disk would have to be either a Retail or OEM version.

stinkyhat

stinkyhat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've borrowed a Windows7 and a Windows 8 dvds. Sadly none of them works.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Well as I said earlier mate I reckon the hard drive is dead.

Obtain a new one and also obtain a new disk rather than borrow any as most likely they will have already been installed on a machine and to use a borrowed disk to install on yours would be against the Microsoft EULA.

Consider this...

http://www.shop.bt.c...tm_content=G900

or this

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B009HI2W66

stinkyhat

stinkyhat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok! Thanks for the help :thumbsup:

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole