Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Should I upgrade now? How do I upgrade?

• Please log in to reply

alfredthehobo

alfredthehobo

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
P4 2.6ghzC , 1 gig PC3200, 9600pro

Thats basically all you need to know. I was looking to upgrade to a 3500+ AMD64, ABIT Mobo and a 6800GT. Should I wait till after the 7800 comes out or will that be the ultra-super high end video card and prices wont drop at all.

Also, how would I go about upgrading? I know the hardwareness of it, just unsure of the software. Im keeping the same harddrive. Could I just turn off the comp, hook up the new stuff and it will automatically adjust? I know Ill need to go to default video drivers and uninstall the ATI ones but how do I do that? Any special procedures on software for the new CPU or will it autodetect and everything will be fine.

Advertisements

alfredthehobo

alfredthehobo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
DOH! I just seen the system building forum, could a mod please move this? Sorry.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
You would need to format and reinstall windows it might not work if you don't, then the drivers would just have to be installed new for all components that need them.

Basically after the hardware is installed boot to bios and load the bios defaults save and exit. then format and install windows.

Then load the drivers that come on a cd with the new mobo
Load all the other drivers video card ect.
Then get a virus scan
Then get all the MS updates

Rick

alfredthehobo

alfredthehobo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Cool, Ive just realized Ill have enough money for an HD, so SATA it is! yay!