Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

outlook question - can i discretely send a copy of outgoing emails to

• Please log in to reply

adifrank

adifrank

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
hi. i'd like to set a rule in my outlook that will:
send a copy of every outgoing email i send to a specified email address.

what i tried is this:
1. start from blank rule > check messages after sending
2. select conditions - none (applies to all outgoing messages)
3. cc the message to people or distribution list
4. clicked on "people or distribution list" and entered my desired email address where i'd like to have the copies sent.
5. no exceptions necessary

but it seems that now every email i send to someone has that specified email address showing as being cc'ed. what i'm looking to achieve is to have a copy of the outgoing emails sent to the specified address, but silently. i prefer that the recipient does not see the address i'm sending the copy as being cc'ed.

is there any way to do that?

Advertisements

Electrobrandino

Electrobrandino

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Hey there,

What you want is called a BCC (blind carbon copy). I am assuming that you are using Outlook 2010 (let me know if you aren't) and in outlook 2010 its not as easy to use BCC as in previous versions.

After some quick googling, I came across this post. Its instructions seem very straightforward....It tells how to enable BCC, and how to use a VB script to auto BCC all outgoing messages, so this may be something you want to look at.

Tested it on my 2010 here at work and it seems to have done the trick :)

Hope this is somewhat helpful :thumbsup:

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
hey electrobrandino thanks for your quick reply!
actually i have outlook 2007. sorry i forgot to mention that. but i googled the same title as the article you linked to and swapped 2010 with 2007 and found what i need. i haven't tried it yet, but i'll do that now.
thanks!

Electrobrandino

Electrobrandino

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Good deal! Ya, just let me know what you find. More than happy to help out if I can :)

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
i found this:
http://justplainobvi...in-outlook.html

i followed the instructions. but i'm not getting the messages bcc'ed to the backup gmail address i specified : (

looking down at the comments of the post in the link above - i noticed that while some happily say it works great, others seem to have the same issue as i do.

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
sorry. false alarm. it works : )
my mistake was that when changing the macros security setting - i closed the window after modifying it rather than hitting the button "ok".

thanks!

Electrobrandino

Electrobrandino

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Good deal, was gonna say I could test it out when i got home, as I have a PC with 2007 on it, but glad you got everything worked out.

:thumbsup: