Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system crashes

• Please log in to reply

newcire

newcire

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I recently upgraded my mobo so i could use my ati radeon 9550 i bought(old mobob did not support 4 or 8x agp)...after a few hours of use it will shut off..i thought maybe it was my ram..i had read some boards dont like 2 sticks of ram that are different brands since it would mainly shutoff when playing unreal tournament 2004..but the only thing that is making think it maybe something else is that when i try to turn it back on it will not boot up past the post screen...but if i let it sit for a while it will boot up fine????...any ideas???

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
When you switched mobo's did you reinstall windows? this is necessary because of driver issues from the old board so I would backup and do a format and reinstall first if you have not already

List your system specs

Rick

newcire

newcire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
athlon 2400+
512 mb ram
ABIT KD7RE mobo
2 hard drives..1 is 20Gb..the other is 80Gb..both are WD....
normally i do reinstall windows anytime i do an upgrade like this simply because windows will start acting up..but this time it started up perfectly so i left it alone..

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Well I still think I would reinstall windows first before geting into needless trouble shooting to see if it takes care of the problem.

Anytime I did not reistall problems such as yours eventually show up.

So try that and if problems persist post back and we can look at some other things.

Rick

newcire

newcire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
will do..thanks for the quick response..of all the different forums i have been in this has been the quickest i have ever been responded to...THANKS!!!

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
your welcome and keep us posted