Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacing PSU in DELL - connectors not same

• Please log in to reply

911pchelp

911pchelp

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Am about to replace the PSU in my Dell Inspeiron desktop 545 and have ordered an Antec PSU, but while waiting checked inside the CPU and found that the original Dell PSU had power connectors that aren't normal. The original PSU connectors do not have the normal "round" female connections ... They're flat connections.

Based on this (and some of the forum entries) suspect the motherboard connector will not be the same either.

I've searched the forum entries but am confused by multiple suggestions.

Does the PSU connector inconsistency mean that I should order of PSU from Dell?

(Several years ago – on a different Dell CPU – I added a second hard drive and the power connectors worked fine – – but the HDD and DVR units currently have different power connections.)

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday 911pchelp
Does the PSU look like this? click the image for differnt views.> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008M7YNSS/ref=as_li_tf_til?tag=saleandsave-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B008M7YNSS&adid=1RVVFHC5E5708354BYMR&&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Fsaleandsave.net%2FB008M7YNSS

If not, can you take a couple of pics of the plugs in question?

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Thank you, iammykyl

YES

I've ordered from Amazon

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
.Your welcome. Posted Image

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Thank y'all for the responses.

I replaced the PSU several days ago and have been waiting to update this. My PC is working fine now.

As many have pointed out, the connectors are SATA – my previous PCs had IDE devices and I didn't realize that the new one had SATA.

Anyway, this issue is resolved.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
You are welcome.
Many thanks for being polite, updating and letting us know your problem is solved.