Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restoring XP after crash

• Please log in to reply

Fred60

Fred60

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
I have a Dell M70 that had a HDD failure. I put a new hard drive in it and ran the factory restore plus driver disk. That is all fine and good, I can now boot up to windows. The problem I am having is getting that copy of windows up to date with SP3 and IE8. I down loaded SP3 and IE8, but they willl not install because SP3 requires atleast SP1. Apparently the copy of Windows on the restore disk is just XP without SP1. Where can I get a SP1 to update the Windows installation so I can then install SP3?

Thanks in advance,

Fred

Advertisements

Fred60

Fred60

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Oh yes,it is XP Pro :o)

Fred60

Fred60

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
OK, DUH! I found SP1 and am now downloading and attempting to install.

while typing this it failed with message: "The following error occured while Service Pack 1 attempted to download the Service pack 1 files from the internet server did not respond".

HELP :confused:

Fred60

Fred60

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
OK, since nobody knew how to get a copy of Sp1 that I could down-load, I just decided to CLONE my wife's hard disk.

Thanks for looking,

:D

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You came and went so fast I didn't have time to respond. You can skip SP1a (not SP1) and go to SP2 then SP3.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

Fred60

Fred60

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Ztruker, thanks for the response :thumbsup:

The installer would not load SP2 unless SP1 was installed.

Unfortunately, my restoration disk is so old it does not even have sp1 included. I went to the Microsoft site that was suggested by the error message, to attempt to download SP1. It started the download and when it came time for the installation program to download the files from the Microsoft site it got the following message: "The following error occured while Service Pack 1 attempted to download the Service pack 1 files from the internet server did not respond".

I retried several times and it told me to go to Microsoft to manually download SP1. I went back to the site, and couldn't find any way to get SP1 as a manual download. That is when I folded and cloned my wife's HDD. That worked and I am now reconfiguring it to my personal copy. Fortunately I have a copy of any files that mean anything to me backed up on an external drive and also at "Drop box".

If you know where I can get a complete copy of SP1 including the files, I would still like to get a copy for the next possible disaster. We have 5 of the DELL Precision M70s so it wouldn't hurt to have a copy on hand. I was able to download SP3 but as you know it requires SP1 in order to install it.

Fred :rolleyes:

Edited by Fred60, 03 April 2013 - 03:27 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You can get it here: Windows XP Service Pack 1a Express Install (32-Bit) for End Users

I have always been able to skip SP1/1A and go to SP2, wonder why you can't.

Oh well, try the above link and see what happens.

Fred60

Fred60

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
That is the link that got the server error trying to download the files. Unlike the SP2 nd SP3 links, it only downloads the installer and then goes back to download the files. I'm in the process of attempting to find a Dell Precision M70 System disk that has SP1 included. Not easy to find if they do exist.

Thanks for the input though.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Okay, one more try: Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) Download Mirrors

Edit: I just downloaded it: xpsp1_en_x86.exe 137,149KB

Fred60

Fred60

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Thanks again Ztrucker :thumbsup: I now have copies of all three files on each of my computers and external HDDs. What a week :rolleyes:

Fred

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Fantastic, glad all is working out for you.