Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NO keyboard will work on NetVista

• Please log in to reply

dmmackay

dmmackay

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
So, as a hobby I like to fix up computers and give them to people that don't have one.

I have an IBM NetVista with a P4- which I thought would be great to put Win7/ Xp on.

Thing is, I can't get it to boot up. Error Message on boot up with keyboard Error. Therefore I can't get into the BIOS to change the Boot ORDER. Doesn't matter what keyboard I use- Just won't respond to any command.

I put a HD in with XP on it- but I get a steady beeping sound- until the bars at the bottom of the screen go across in the boot up sequence- but the bars stop at the end - No Welcome- and nothing else. I Just can't get it to BOOT to OS -and can't get to BIOS. Can't use SAFE MODE because the keyboard won't let me select the option. I tried to remove the battery, but still I have this problem.

Since I haven't used the Tower and can't get it to Boot up, I can't say too much more about it.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello dmmackay

IBM computers are renowned for their security protection with some computers having up to 3 passwords put in to gain access 1: Keyboard password. 2: BIOS password and 3: a HDD password.

It would appear that a keyboard password is required so if you do not have or you can obtain the password from the previous owner of the computer you are locked out.

dmmackay

dmmackay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I don't see how a person could enter a password- since the keyboard is no responsive- nor do I see a place or prompt to enter a keyword- but I will agree with you that IBM's are a hard ticket to fix.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my post- Greatly Appreciated.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are welcome dmmackay :thumbsup:

An example of the specs that I found;

Boot without keyboard or mouse,
Mouse disable,
Keyboard password,
Parallel port I/O control,
Diskette I/O control,