Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need advice for my PC Build

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Your welcome and pleased you sorted out the MB OK.
If you purchased the Rosewill 650W PSU, user manual download > http://www.rosewill....=21_14_395_1801

You have the various Manuals for reference but suggest you proceed in the following order.
If installed, remove and replace the I/O shield in the case with the one supplied in the MB box.
Alter/install fans if required.
Install the PSU.
Check carefully the stand-offs on the MB mounting plate inside the case, the number and pattern must match exactly the screw holes in the MB, no extra ones.
Install the Optical Drive.
Place the MB on a clean piece of cardboard, a little larger than the board.
Install the CPU.
Check there will be thermal interface material on the heat-sink plate (usually a pre applied pad/strips on stock cooler) or IF NOT PRESENT, APPLY YOUR OWN to the CPU.
Install the CPU heat-sink/fan.
Connect the CPU fan to the CPU fan header on the MB.
Install the RAM, refer MB Manual for the correct slots.
Install the MB.
Install HDD/s, try to leave bays empty that are close to the end of the video card when installed.
Connect the two power cable to the MB.
Install the GPU. and connect the required PCI-E power cables.
Run and connect the rest of the wiring.
If using, connect the mini internal system speaker, ensure the +/- on the plug match the symbols on the header pins.
Check over your wiring, OK/? you are ready to go.

NB. Keep all packaging, receipts and any bits left over,

Good luck.

Advertisements

Hollz

Hollz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ok, about to boot up to install windows. Managed to get power yesterday after built but we found out my mobo is not compatible with my optical drive's dated connection so I had to go buy a new one today :(

I now have a question since my buddy isn't here to answer, I got a corsair cx600m psu and it has 4 plugs on in. There are two columns, "peripheral & sata" and "6+2 pci-e & 4+4 cpu." Now that I got my optical drive installed, I need to run power to it. My storage drives are taking up the one sata cord's plugs so I need to plug in another. Is it ok to plug the dvd optical drive power into the column that says "6+2 pci-e & 4+4 cpu"? The plugs are same for both columns, I just wanted to know if it mattered which column you used? Wasn't sure if it sends different voltages based on the columns.

Edited by Hollz, 13 April 2013 - 01:21 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Do not connect any power supply other than the SATA type as detailed in the attached link http://www.playtool....ctors.html#sata

The PSU has 6 SATA connections have you used all of them.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Waiting for a reply to Phillpower2's question, also an update to late us know how you are going with the build,'

Thanks.

Hollz

Hollz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Sorry, I just realized I never replied, got so preoccupied with getting things installed and such! I looked up my power supply and saw in the picture that the two plug-in spots I was looking at were different and not the same like I thought, so I should be good since everything connected up and works as it should! Cannot believe the low temps I got (though it makes sense, I have 3 fans and don't think I really had any except the cpu and psu going on in my old system, but I know better now ;) )

Love my new computer, so excited to get back into gaming again (was able to run Borderlands 2 last night, I was amazed at how handicapped I was using my old computer compared to now haha!)

My work is actually recycling electronics/old computers next week for Earth day (what perfect timing) so I'm going to pull out the RAM from my old system and toss everything else. Might see if my old RAM would be compatible with my new system, we'll see.

My friend also mentioned getting a UPS (and now that it's thundering...) so I MAY look into that just so I don't have to freak out when it's storming out, tho because my monitor is a 32 inch tv I'm afraid how much I'll have to spend, so I guess we'll see on that.

Anyway, thank you guys for all your help and guiding me through all my issues and the sense of security knowing I was building a good system :)

Attached Thumbnails

• comp1.jpg
  • comp2.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Hollz.
Thanks for the update.

Great that you got everything sorted and you are happy with the build, Looks terrific and the display is very good.

Might see if my old RAM would be compatible with my new system, we'll see.

Doubt that your 5 year old RAM would be much good on the new board and even if it looks to have the same specs. delving down deeper they probable have different structures. .never a good idea to mix RAM from different production runs.

You don't actually need an UPS, Uninterpreted Power Supply. They contain a rechargeable battery, so if you were running a Server and lost power for any reason, yuo could keep the system running for a while. Buy a good quality Power board/strip with Surge Protection. You can get them with included phone line and TV .
Your welcome, glad to have been of service.

Good Luck..

Hollz

Hollz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ah okay, so as long as I have the surge protection I should be okay? I tend to shut down the computer when I start hearing a lot of thunder, but sometimes I'm in the middle of something and try to wait it out just a bit XD

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Ah okay, so as long as I have the surge protection I should be okay?

It will not protect from a direct lightning strike. My next door nabour had a direct hit. it burned out the meter, fuse box, most of the wiring in the house, fridge, TV, computer, in fact everything that was plugged onto s wall socket. bThey are the only people I know who have had a direct hit.
It will protect your connected hardware from spikes and surges from things like distant lightning, on your AC power supply. Fridges, freezers, washing machine, air conditioners, anything with a large electric motor when it kicks in. So still a good thing to have installed.
> http://stormhighway....tion_myth.shtml