Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build powers off

• Please log in to reply

Cingelj16

Cingelj16

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I just finished building a new computer with an msi 975x platinum power up edition motherboard. It starts up, POST works, and it goes to the bios screen, but in between all of that it shuts off automatically, sometimes right after start up, other times after post. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: Cingelj16

Please provide the brand and model name or number/s details for the HDD, Ram, Add on video card and the PSU.

Are all components new out of the box, including the CPU and HDD.
What version of CPU do you have.
What OS are you using XP, Vista W7 etc and was it a fresh installation with the new hardware.
What type of OS installation disk do you have as in a full retail, an OEM or a burned copy.

Cingelj16

Cingelj16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have a seagate 256 mb hard drive, Samsung 8 fb ram (4x 2gb), a geforce 8400 gs video card, and an ultra 500 watt psu. My CPU is intel for 2 duo 6300. I do not have any type of windows installed because it would not stay on long enough for me to begin installation. I have a feeling that the CPU was overheating because the CPU fan supported the wrong socket,(1150) I orderd another CPU fan (775) that would fit, and cool the CPU better.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the additional details :thumbsup:

Let us know if the problem persists with the correct Heatsink & cooling fan fitted.

Cingelj16

Cingelj16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Quick question, before I install the new fan, should I remove the factory applied thermal paste and apply better like arctic silver 5??

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
In all honesty I would only do that if you already had Arctic Silver 5 to hand, or could borrow some from a friend <_<

If not give the new cooler a try and see how it goes and let us know.