Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is this PSU fried?

• Please log in to reply

mjhart

mjhart

• Pip
  • 4 posts
http://i1352.photobu...zps30c4698f.jpg

I am completely new to building computers, and this Corsair 500m seems to be crapping out on me.
Trying to build this:

System specs:
Graphics card: msi GeForce GTX 660 Twin FrozrIII (OC Edition)
PSU: Corsair cx500m (500w)
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k 3400mhz
HardDrive: SCI 7200rpm
Motherboard: Gigabyte LGA1155 Z77-HD3
RAM: Team Elite Dual Channel 1333Mhz DDR3 4GBx2

No matter what configuration I have, even if I set the motherboard on the motherboard package and just plug in the psu, all I get is a reboot cycle. Trying to determine now if it is due to a faulty mobo or faulty psu. Please help me out if ya can.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome:

To test if it is the PSU, remove it from the computer and test it while it is connected to the power from the wall socket only and then short out the pins as described at the attached link http://www.smpspower...rs-pinouts.html

A video for you also

Other things that can cause this are bent pins on the CPU and bad Ram if fitted.

Let us know how the testing goes.

mjhart

mjhart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

:welcome:

To test if it is the PSU, remove it from the computer and test it while it is connected to the power from the wall socket only and then short out the pins as described at the attached link http://www.smpspower...rs-pinouts.html

A video for you also

Other things that can cause this are bent pins on the CPU and bad Ram if fitted.

Let us know how the testing goes.

Hey, thanks a lot for that post. I've been asking for help on this on two other forums and no one even suggested that. You are very helpful and insightful.

My fans worked perfectly when I did that. So I guess it is the motherboard. Should I just go ahead and buy a replacement motherboard?

mjhart

mjhart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I bought a motherboard speaker attachment. Now when I start up the motherboard (with ONLY the PSU and PCU+fan attached), I get about thirty fast beeps while the reboot cycle goes on. Same thing happens with or without RAM installed (doesn't matter which slots, or one or two sticks of RAM).

Does anyone know what to make of this?

Edited by mjhart, 08 April 2013 - 01:40 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Did you as I suggested test the PSU without it being connected to the MB or any other item/s of hardware and the wall socket power outlet only. I ask as you post the following;

My fans worked perfectly when I did that

You may find the following link useful for future reference http://www.pchell.co...beepcodes.shtml

mjhart

mjhart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Problem solved... It ended up being DOA RAM, thankfully.

I really appreciate all the help and advice I got here! I'll probably be back in the near future with other hardware problems, haha.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Glad you got it sorted mjhart and thanks for the follow up :thumbsup: