Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba satellite L7500-ST4N01 not booting up

• Please log in to reply

hbodrick

hbodrick

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop which was booting up, stopped booting up after i put my "old" Toshiba hard drive into the one I have now. I am now getting this message:

For Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.0.2.7(11/02/10)
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
No bootalble device -- insert boot disk and press any key

I have tried everything but nothing is working! I do not know how to make a boot disk, I don't have the original Windows Disk, and the BIOS is now not picking up the HDD that came with this Toshiba! Someone plz help me with a good resolution!! Thanks in advance!!

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Hello Hbodrick and welcome to Geeks To Go

The Toshiba is trying to boot from a Network connection as it cannot find any boot files on the hard drive possibly because either the file system is messed up or the hard dive is dead.

You said in your opening line that the laptop was booting up but then you inserted an old hard drive and then you got the error message.

You then said in your last line that the laptop was not picking up the original hard drive.

Which is it to be?

hbodrick

hbodrick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks! The HDD that came with this computer worked at first. I then decided to see if my "old" Toshiba HDD would work in the newer Toshiba. Must have messed up the BIOS.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You won't have messed up the bios but I'm assuming the "old" hard drive contained an operating system.

When you put this drive in it would not have recognised the hardware in the new machine.

It also sounds to be dead.

hbodrick

hbodrick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well thanks I guess it is. When the computer first boots before the bios screen, the HDD makes this "clicking" sound. Then it goes to the screen where you can press F2 for bios or F12 for boot sequence.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Clicking sounds are classic symptoms of a dead or dying hard drive where the tracking arm is stuck because it is damaged or the platter is damaged.