Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wacky install of Windows 8

• Please log in to reply

BS_1

BS_1

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi,
It's been a while since I have posted on this forum since I have had NO problems since windows XP, but I've recently switched to Windows 8, which seems like a fine OS, but I think I made some mistakes while installing it. I know GeeksToGo has helped me in the past so I've come back to ask for some help.

The problem is that I THINK my Windows 8 is slower than it should be. I say "I think" because I've never used Windows 8 before, so I can't be sure how fast or slow it should be. But it feels like the 'apps' take a fairly long time to load. I'm talking about 3-4 seconds here, which really isn't that much, but with new technology I kind of expect things to not even have a loading time. I'm fine with this 'wait' but I just wanted to make sure I didn't screw things up during the install of my OS. I have installed it on a brand new computer that I built myself. i5 processor, Windows 8 Compatible motherboard (forgot the name), 8 gig Ram.

PROBLEM EXPLAINED HERE:
Originally I had planned to buy the OS from a friend who works for Microsoft in a different country, since it is much cheaper (like $12 instead of $100). He was going to give me the product key and since it would take some time for him to send me the installation disc I thought I would just download the Windows 8 ISO, and install it to save me waiting weeks for the disc to arrive. I couldn't figure out how to download the ISO without yet having a product key. So I used a P2P network to find one (non-hacked/tweaked version).

I downloaded a Windows 8 ISO and made a bootable USB. I successfully installed it onto my newly built computer (which had NO OS installed).
Then I found out my friend wouldn't be able to get me the Windows 8 OS from Microsoft. So instead I went and bought the $100 OEM version from the store.
Since I had the official install disc, I thought, I may as well install this legitimately instead of using the P2P version I had installed.

Not knowing exactly what to do I decided to try format Windows 8. I used a method which can be accessed by going to Windows 8 -PC Settings, -General, -Remove everything and Reinstall Windows. I started this process and set it to FULLY REMOVE everything. I ended up cancelling this process about 20% in as it was taking forever (bad move).

Upon restarting the PC it wouldn't load Windows 8, saying that it needed to be repaired etc. I let it diagnose itself and it said it couldn't repair itself.
I pretty much gave up on it and decided to just try to install Windows 8 from the legit CD.

I booted the computer from the disc drive and successfully installed Windows 8 which I am using right now, Also activated. When I was installing it, it showed that there was a partition of 351mb which I assume that the original (now possibly corrupted) install of Windows 8, was contained.

So Finally, I am just wondering if this method of install, and the possible remnants of the 'corrupted' Windows 8, would be affecting my computer in any way. Is there anything I can do to try and remove that Old original install of Windows?

My computer seems to be working completely fine with no problems whatsoever, but I thought while it is early days, I may as well try to make sure my computer is working optimally.

Anyway sorry for the extremely long description. I just wanted to be clear and make sure there was less needs for questions later on.

Thanks again for any help you can give me,

BS_1

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Reinstall Windows 8 again but this time remove all partitions by using the Drive Options (Advanced) as shown in this image.

Posted Image

BS_1

BS_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi Wolfey, thanks for the fast reply.

I actually tried doing this when I was installing the LEGIT copy

It came up showing Partition 1 and Partition 2

(Partition 1 was the 351mb Partition I mentioned earlier.)

However I was unable to DELETE or FORMAT Partition 1, under the 'Drive Options (advanced)' settings.
In fact, for Partition 1, the options for DELETE and FORMAT were greyed out.
For Partition 2, those options were available and I think I selected Format for Partition 2.

But definitely, Partition 1, could not be changed.

Although I haven't tried to reinstall SINCE installing the legit copy. So maybe that option will have changed?

I will check to see if the option is now available, but assuming it is still greyed out, is there anything else I can do?

What would cause it to be greyed out?

I have downloaded and installed some large files since having this OS running, so I won't reinstall until I get them on an external hard drive. But I will boot from Install disc and check out the option.

Thanks again

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
A screen shot of what it says in Disk Management would be handy BS1.