Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS problem, Black Screen

• Please log in to reply

Escalus

Escalus

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
The Problem:
Greetings! My name is Escalus I've come to you guys in dire need of help.
Coming home from work one day, my new high end gaming (custom build) of 2 months
suddenly refused to give me a BIOS POST screen.
The GPU Version POST screen would show up on my screen, afterwards I'd get my ASUS BIOS screen that would come after it, this didn't happen...
I get nothing but a black screen, fans roar when it's booted up, LED is a beautiful blue, HDD and SATA Drives ready to go, and my motherboard doesn't screech or anything and gives me the greenlight that everything is A-OKAY.

(But in reality, it isn't)

Specifications:

Motherboard:
ASUS P8 H61-M LE R2.0

GPU:
PNY NVIDIA GEFORE 550TI

CPU:
Intel Core I7 2600k (2nd Generation)

RAM:
PNY 8gb

HDD
Western Digital 500gb

PSU: (Forgot all about this!)
Thermaltake T-1225 500w

What was done to attempt to fix the problem:
-Removed the CMOS Battery for 2 minutes and placed it back in.
-Removed Several Components, Cleaned them, and replaced them.
-"F4, Delete, F8" Methods"
-"Process of Elimination
-Removed 1 stick of RAM (still a black screen)
-Tried a different monitor (It's definitely not the monitor)
-Taken to a shop to fix it, no solution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w71cYJKqdg

Edited by Escalus, 13 April 2013 - 07:15 AM.

Advertisements

Escalus

Escalus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I've also attempted a jumper reset. (That didn't work either)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: Escalus

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your new computer :upset:

One very important item of hardware that you have not told us about is the PSU, what is the brand and model name or number of the PSU and is it also only 2 months old.

I don`t see a BIOS speaker on the MB in the user manual, does it have one.
If not I would suggest that you obtain one (see example below) they are inexpensive and can really help you with any troubleshooting.

I would like to know the PSU details before I suggest anything if you don`t mind.

Escalus

Escalus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

:welcome: Escalus

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your new computer :upset:

One very important item of hardware that you have not told us about is the PSU, what is the brand and model name or number of the PSU and is it also only 2 months old.

I don`t see a BIOS speaker on the MB in the user manual, does it have one.
If not I would suggest that you obtain one (see example below) they are inexpensive and can really help you with any troubleshooting.

I would like to know the PSU details before I suggest anything if you don`t mind.

Oh, I forgot all about the PSU! lol (Added)
Yes I happen to have a speaker, but the motherboard itself didn't have one (It DOES come with a snazzy light notifier though, but it's on green the entire time (Which in the manual means, it's good to go).
I'm looking around on my motherboard now and it seems it has no place for a little speaker to go. D:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Can you answer each question that I ask please.
Is the PSU also only 2 months old.

Yes I happen to have a speaker, but the motherboard itself didn't have one
Please refer to the attachment that I have provided below for the location of the BIOS speaker.
(It DOES come with a snazzy light notifier though, but it's on green the entire time (Which in the manual means, it's good to go).
Sorry but this is incorrect, again please see the attachment that I have provided below + my canned speech regarding the performance and testing of a PSU
I'm looking around on my motherboard now and it seems it has no place for a little speaker to go. D:
Please refer to my comment one above

As a PSU puts out various voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12V it may appear that the PSU is working correctly but it is not, any significant drop of any output can prevent the system from booting up, the other scenario is a significant increase in the output which can be worse as it can fry one or more major components such as the MB, CPU, Ram, add on video card etc.
The green MB LED only indicates that there is +5V stand-by voltage present.

Please be aware that there are no user replaceable parts in a PSU so a bad one should be disposed of in a responsible manner and any type of conclusive testing will need to be done by a suitably trained Tech who has the required testing equipment and the relevant knowledge as to how to use it.

Escalus

Escalus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Can you answer each question that I ask please.
Is the PSU also only 2 months old.

Yes I happen to have a speaker, but the motherboard itself didn't have one
Please refer to the attachment that I have provided below for the location of the BIOS speaker.
(It DOES come with a snazzy light notifier though, but it's on green the entire time (Which in the manual means, it's good to go).
Sorry but this is incorrect, again please see the attachment that I have provided below + my canned speech regarding the performance and testing of a PSU
Please refer to my comment one above

As a PSU puts out various voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12V it may appear that the PSU is working correctly but it is not, any significant drop of any output can prevent the system from booting up, the other scenario is a significant increase in the output which can be worse as it can fry one or more major components such as the MB, CPU, Ram, add on video card etc.
The green MB LED only indicates that there is +5V stand-by voltage present.

Please be aware that there are no user replaceable parts in a PSU so a bad one should be disposed of in a responsible manner and any type of conclusive testing will need to be done by a suitably trained Tech who has the required testing equipment and the relevant knowledge as to how to use it.

Yes the PSU is also 2 months old.

I inserted the speaker and only got 1 short beep, then silence.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Apart from a single BIOS beep meaning POST has completed successfully it can also mean that there is a memory issue, this includes one or more of the memory slots being bad and the video memory being bad.

Simple test now, remove all Ram from the MB and power up the computer, if the beep changes it suggests that the Ram is ok and that the problem may be with the add on video card, let us know how the Ram test works out.

Escalus

Escalus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
one long beep and 2 short beeps followed after taking out the ram.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Re-seat the Ram securely, remove the add on video card, connect the screen to the MBs integrated video port, power up the computer and let us know the results.

Escalus

Escalus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Re-seat the Ram securely, remove the add on video card, connect the screen to the MBs integrated video port, power up the computer and let us know the results.

The computer powered up, but I still got a black screen, the speaker let out the short beep again though.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
With the add on video card still removed try completely disconnecting the HDD and any optical drives, if still no joy try doing a physical test of the Ram, see below;

How to physically test your Ram;

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket and take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.

Have a pencil and notepad to hand.
Remove each stick of Ram and blow out the memory slots.
Insert the first stick of Ram in memory slot one, reconnect the power and in the case of a desktop computer the video to screen cable.
Power up the computer and see how it goes.
Make a note of the results.
Repeat the procedure until the first stick of Ram has been tested in each memory slot and the results written down.
Remove the first stick of Ram and put it to one side on top of a piece of paper with the number one on it for identification purposes.
Repeat the procedure with all Ram until each stick has been tested in all slots, the results written down and the sticks identified numerically.
Please note that some MBs (motherboards) will not boot unless there is Ram in slot one so please provide us with your motherboard details, brand, model name/number and any revision number, these details may be found by the CPU, between the PCI slots and/or around the edge of the motherboard, once we have the MB details we can look for the user manual.
Also while the case is open check the MB for bad caps, refer to link http://www.pcstats.c...m?articleID=195

Escalus

Escalus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
RAM #1 Test
Slot 1:

• 1 beep from speaker
  • HDD/Optical Drives Unplugged
Result:
  • Black Screen
  • Nothing out of the Ordinary

RAM #1 Test
Slot 2:

• 1 beep from speaker
  • HDD/Optical Drives Unplugged
Result:
  • Black Screen

RAM #1 Test 2
Slot 1:

• 1 beep from speaker
  • HDD/Optical Drives Plugged in
Result:
  • Black Screen

RAM #1 Test
Slot 2:

• 1 beep from speaker
  • HDD/Optical Drives plugged in
Result:
  • Black Screen
-------------------------------------------
RAM #2 also had the same results as RAM #1 with HDD and Optical Drives plugged and unplugged during both tests.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Nice clear test result explanation, thanks :thumbsup:

Did you check the capacitors on the MB, do they all look ok.

Please check the video cable for signs of damage, this includes the end connections, make sure that there are no bent or missing pins.

When you restart the computer keep tapping the F8 key to see if you can access the BIOS, if no joy repeat the procedure but keep tapping the Del or Esc key.

Disconnect the PSU from the wall socket, remove the CMOS battery, press the power on button to disperse any residual current in the MB and only replace the CMOS battery after a minimum of 30 minutes.

Swapping in a known good PSU is the next step, if you can`t do this take the present PSU to a tech store and have it tested, many will do this for free in the hope of making a sale should yours turn out to be bad.

The final check is removing the CPU and checking it for bent or missing pins.

Escalus

Escalus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Nice clear test result explanation, thanks :thumbsup:

Did you check the capacitors on the MB, do they all look ok.

Please check the video cable for signs of damage, this includes the end connections, make sure that there are no bent or missing pins.

When you restart the computer keep tapping the F8 key to see if you can access the BIOS, if no joy repeat the procedure but keep tapping the Del or Esc key.

Disconnect the PSU from the wall socket, remove the CMOS battery, press the power on button to disperse any residual current in the MB and only replace the CMOS battery after a minimum of 30 minutes.

No problems with the capacitors, nothing blown or melted.

No bent or missing pins in the video cables nor damage.

Replaced the CMOS battey after 30 minutes

tested everything and still I get a black screen.

Swapping in a known good PSU is the next step, if you can`t do this take the present PSU to a tech store and have it tested, many will do this for free in the hope of making a sale should yours turn out to be bad.

The final check is removing the CPU and checking it for bent or missing pins.

I swapped a PSU to one that was still boxed and new and sadly ended up with the same results.

The CPU is good as it's never had any problems whatsoever nor bent pins.

I'm not sure where else to turn as of now.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Having read the user manual for the MB I note that it is tapping the Delete key while the computer is attempting to POST that gets you into the BIOS, did you try this as I suggested in my reply #13?

NB: It can be tricky getting into the BIOS sometimes so you may need to restart the computer a couple of times before you gain access.