Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Extremely unreliabe speed in WLAN.

• Please log in to reply

Mjoellnir

Mjoellnir

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, I'm currently having problems with the WLAN in the shared flat I live in. Currently the speed on my desktop PC has dropped so far that Youtube is unusable and I sometimes can't even get into my mailbox. Sometimes it suddenly goes back to normal speed for a short while without any apparent reason. The catch is: My laptop still has a completely normal connection so I'm at a loss where the problem lies. Both run on Windows 7. The desktop has worked mostly fine for about 4 months and I didn't make any big changes to it (installed and uninstalled a few Steam games). During the last month it gradually got worse, the speed went down more often and for longer. I tried things like giving myself a static IP adress and find out if the the laptop has any different settings without any luck. The only thing the windows troubleshooter managed to fix was my static IP, otherwise it only realizes that there might be an unidentifiable problem. The router seems to be an Apple Airport Extreme, but since it was running fine for months and still does with the laptop I don't think that it's the problem. I would love doing a speed test but the installation of the necessary flash player failed because it couldn't get a connection. :wacko: I'd be grateful for any help about what to do or where to look to find out where the problem lies.

Edit: Okay, a bit more information, my WLAN-adapter is a Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11b/g 54 Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter. Yesterday I got the idea to turn my laptop into a hotspot and see if I get a better internet connection with the desktop through it. I did. Then the laptop went on standby, my desktop signed back into the normal WLAN without me realizing and since then it's working normally again. No idea why or how long it will last.

Edit2: And of course 15 min after posting this the connection is down to the speed of a lame snail. :help:

Edited by Mjoellnir, 13 April 2013 - 03:21 AM.

Advertisements