Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange Message about desktop

• Please log in to reply

Mamacat104

Mamacat104

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My friend's laptop is a Dell using Windows XP.. I loaded PDFLite free program on her computer.. I use it on my laptop to convert a document into a PDF file and on my son's desktop. It works great to create a PDF file to send to someone who doesn't use Microsoft Word or Microsoft Works... But when trying to do a print/save on her laptop. I get the error message

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or you network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information may have been moved to a diffierent location."

so I try to print/save file to a folder and not on the desktop....it shows that it saves okay.. but when I go to the folder, it don't exist.. it is like an invisible file.. when I go back to do the print/save again, to the same folder, it says the file already exists and do I want to replace it.. it also shows the file in the box above... I tell it to do a replace.. once again. I go to the folder to open the file I saved.. Not there.. this is totally bizarre.. I have never seen this before..

any ideas as to why it gives me the error message about the desktop?? that is totally strange... and why does the file show saving and shows in the box when you try to resave.. but is invisible and doesn't appear when you go to the folder..?? am stumped on this one..

thank you
Barbra

Advertisements

GKW

GKW

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi there!
Maybe the file property for that file is Hidden, which is why you cannot see it.
Why don't you try to view the hidden files in the folder that you are saving your files to?
Here are some easy steps on how to view hidden files and folders in XP -->

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-see-hidden-files-in-windows/#winxp

Please let us know if the files are hidden or not.

Also if you are using Microsoft Office 2007, you don't need an extra program to save as pdf, as Microsoft has a plugin for Word, Excel etc that allows you to save as pdf.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=7

And don't worry, the plugin is free :)

Edited by GKW, 22 April 2013 - 11:24 PM.

Mamacat104

Mamacat104

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
She is using microsoft 1997 on her computer... I will check her computer this Saturday.. I won't see her before that... But I don't think the file is hidden.. wouldn't that be strange to hide a document.. usually the hidden files are your system files. I will check that when I see her Saturday... I have to put memory in her computer Saturday..

will let you know when I see the computer..

thanks for response
Barbara