Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop besieged by BSOD - worth fixing?

• Please log in to reply

japanesedream72

japanesedream72

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
In need of quick advice on behalf of a friend. I don't have a huge amount of details because she lives overseas (I'm in the US), but as she is largely without Internet access at the moment, thought I'd see if I could get some additional opinions from more knowledgeable people, esp. since neither of us are very tech-savvy.

Her primary laptop crashed - multiple BSOD's, unable to be fixed despite all her efforts. She took it in for servicing, & turns out it's a RAM problem. While that's being repaired, she'd been using her older laptop, which isn't really very old - maybe 3 years? - as a back-up. It's an HP, one of these: http://www.cnet.com/...7-35276615.html She reformatted it before storing it away prior to getting her current laptop, but hasn't otherwise changed or added any components (i.e., RAM or video card or anything) since she got it.

The HP was working fine until about a week or so ago, when it, too, started getting BSOD's, several in a day. She ran tests which said it wasn't a hard drive issue, tried reformatting from both system restore & the recovery disk, & nothing helped. She even contacted HP, but their suggestions couldn't rectify the problem, either. A colleague of hers has a tech-savvy relative who is going to look at it (they are a programmer that used to work in tech support), but if it's a major issue of some sort, she'll have to fork out to have this one serviced, as well.

Question is, as far as the HP - is it worth paying to get it fixed? She really likes it, & HP computers in general, but it might cost the equivalent of a few hundred dollars to get repaired. The alternative is putting that money toward a new one. She'll also have to see what the person who's going to look at it says, but if they can't fix it, she has to let HP know by Monday so it will be covered under the support ticket she opened with them.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

japanesedream72

japanesedream72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Update to this: the aforementioned tech-savvy relative did get the HP working. Turned out this was also a RAM problem; he didn't replace the non-working stick (one worked, the other didn't), so the HP is running 2 GB of RAM. He wiped the whole system & re-installed Windows. She was able to use it for a few days, but it began to blue screen again. He took it back & worked on it, not sure what he did, but apparently, he got it working. I don't think she had it back for more than a day, however, before it blue screened again.

She's afraid the same thing will happen when she gets the primary laptop (an MSI) back, though that is still under warranty, so the company will have to fix it if it is still not functioning properly. I know there is no real info for any of you to go by, in terms of the HP's issues, but does anyone have similar experiences that they were able to fix?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello japanesedream72

Repairing computers when they are in front of you can be difficult so I don`t envy you trying to diagnose one from afar :unsure:

Common causes of a BSOD include bad Ram (inc MB slots) bad HDD or data on it (drivers etc) heat and hardware or software conflicts.

Has any pattern of behavior been established as in does it blue screen when watching online videos, after the notebook has been on for a while or web browsing as a couple of examples.

What if any error messages are being displayed on screen, if none due to the notebook restarting too quickly suggest disabling the auto restart function so that any error messages can be read http://pcsupport.abo...t-windows-7.htm