Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

plug-in unresponsive

• Please log in to reply

jsullivan33403

jsullivan33403

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
I have an unusual problem, this is the message I keep getting, The plug-in is unresponsive; unknown, would you like to stop it? I am running under XP Professional on a Dell Optiplex GX280.

I have tried the following to try and correct.
* Using CCleaner on both registry and files, *Using AVG virus scan, * taking the unit down and wiping the hard drive and reloading with the latest versions of all soft ware, but to no avail.

What it does:
It often makes Google Chrome un responsive, pops up in Firefox and Word but apparently does not effect them much.

Any ideas on how to correct?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
When did it start happening after you reloaded XP and started reinstalling programs? What program did you last install when it happened?

When do you get the message. When you start the browser or while looking at specific web pages, vidoes, what?

If it happens regularly then try booting to Safe Mode with Networking and see if it still happens or not.

Reboot then press F8 as soon as you see the Manufacturers logo. Keep tapping it every second or so until the Advanced Boot Options Menu comes up. Select Safe Mode with Networking and see what happens.

jsullivan33403

jsullivan33403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi Ztruker

I managed to fix it, but for how long I do not know by reloading Google Chrome. Thank you for your assistance.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Reloading Google Chrome fixed all 3 browsers? Yikes!

Glad it's fixed though.

jsullivan33403

jsullivan33403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Yes, I tried it in desperation and was very surprised by the unbelievable results. It should not have worked and I only tried it in desperation, but it did work!