Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Many Errors, Please Help [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Sounds like a conflict in a video driver. Let's see if you have any device conflicts.

Boot up in Safe Mode.
When the desktop appears:
  • Click the Start Orb
  • Right click on Computer and click Properties. A Control Panel window will open.
  • In the left pane under Tasks click Device Manager and then Continue on the UAC warning. The Device Manager window will open.
    On the Menu Bar at the top of the window click View and then Show Hidden Devices
  • Do you have any YELLOW question marks ? or exclamation points ! OR any RED X's?
    If you do, take a screen shot of the Device Manager and post it in your next reply.
Did you update any video drivers or install any programs around the time the problem with the screen flicker started?

Advertisements

Krinkle

Krinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Heya this is the pictures of the stuff, I remember I changed a couple of options with my AMD and Steam updated my AMD and it did that.

Attached Thumbnails

• Problems with stuff 1.jpg
  • Problems with stuff 2.jpg

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
So can you change the options back and see if Steam will re-update and stabilize the flickering?

Krinkle

Krinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Not really I cant see the option to click it it flickers like 15 times a second and then goes black for a second and then repeats.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
OK. The Device conflicts are with the Avast Network Shield Support and Security Processor Loader Driver. So I'm thinking the problem may be with the Avast antivirus program. Let's uninstall it and see if that corrects the problem with the monitor flicker and the reinstall it.

Click here to go to the Avast! Free Antivirus download page at softonic. Then click on the Free Download button to download the file. Save it to the desktop.
NOTE: You are downloading from the softonic site. I didn't link you to the Avast site download because the file is downloaded from CNET and CNET adds a lot of adware to their downloads if you aren't careful.
Click here to download the Avast removal tool. Save it to the desktop.
Close all open browsers and windows.

Step-1.

Completely Uninstall Avast

A.
1. Please click the Start Orb Posted Image, click Control Panel. Under the Programs heading click Uninstall a program
2. In the list of programs installed, locate the following program(s):

avast! Free Antivirus

3. Right click the program and click Uninstall
4. After the programs have been uninstalled, close the Installed Programs window and the Control Panel.
5. Reboot the computer.

Delete the folders associated with the uninstalled programs.(Only do this if you uninstalled the program)

1. Using Windows Explorer (to get there right-click your Start button and click "Explore"), please delete the following folders(s) (if present):

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software

2. Close Windows Explorer.

B.
  • Start Windows in Safe Mode.
  • Right click the aswclear.exe file and click Run as Administrator to run it.
    NOTE: If you installed avast! in a different folder than the default, browse for it. (Be careful! The content of any folder you choose will be deleted!)
  • Click REMOVE
  • Restart your computer

Now see if you can boot into Normal Windows. If you can't, reopen the device Manager and see if there are any other conflicts and let me know.

If you can boot into Normal Windows:

Step-2

Reinstall Avast

Right click the avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe file on the desktop and click Run as Administrator to start the installation.
Follow the on screen prompts.

Things For Your Next Post:
Please post the logs in the order requested. Do Not attach the logs unless I request it.
Let me know if that resolved the screen flicker problem.

Krinkle

Krinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I messed up somehow the only way to turn on my computer now is to use a windows disc to use the windows fixing tool, I now need help on this computer. It won't update from factory condition, great huh, time to start a new post I suppose right? I will try to get back to this one at a later time when I'm not on this comptuer and have fixed the other one.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
What do you get when you turn the computer on?
What do you mean by the Windows fixing tool?
What do you mean by It won't update from factory condition?
You don't need to start a new post. Just tell me what happened and we will take it from there.

Krinkle

Krinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
The computer updated finally it was just taking a break I guess, the other one says that windows has failed to start because of a missing or damaged file and that it needs the windows disc with the windows (sorry if i cant quite word it right)repair tool I believe. And everything I try to get it to boot even in safe mode says the exact same thing saying I can't start windows at all.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Please answer my questions above.
And were you updating Windows at the time or trying to restore Windows to the factory condition?

Krinkle

Krinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
restored it to factory then it wasnt downloading the items it just took a second though

Advertisements

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Do you have the Windows installation disks that came with the computer?

Krinkle

Krinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
not at the ready i am trying to find them, in boxes somewhere i think

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts

I messed up somehow the only way to turn on my computer now is to use a windows disc..

What Windows disk were you using here?

Krinkle

Krinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
i wasn't, the other computer wants one to repair my windows, this computer seems to be crashing and [bleep] for no reason and all the sudden like just freezing permanently.

Krinkle

Krinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Also it is now not installing the service pack, it says it installs after half a second and then when I try to restart it says shutting off forever until I was forced to hold down the power button but it didn't act like I had to do that so obviously something messed up there.