Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalling Mac OS on Newly Installed Hard Drive - Currently wont boo

• Please log in to reply

DrCheese19

DrCheese19

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello -

** the specific details of this question are:
------- when I first obtained the imac g5, it would not start due to a repeating kernel error OR a flashing question mark folder
------- after installing the new hard drive, the kernel error is gone, but when booted up, there is either a circle with a slash through it OR a dim screen that tells me to restart my computer
------ the imac g5 does not respond to the original retail discs for installing the Mac OS - it just keeps loading OR gives the restart your computer screen again
------ target disk mode is yet to be attempted - just don't know the process
------ all other methods to accomplish a complete successful boot up are being requested...thank you! (Read below)

I recently obtained an old imac G5 1.8 ghz desktop computer - and I set out to make it function again. So I replaced the hard drive with a WD Caviar Blue 500 GB internal HD. However, I cannot reinstall the Mac operating system on the new hard drive, so it won't start up! How would I go about installing the operating system on this newly installed hard drive so the imac g5 will start up??

Advertisements