Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Wont boot, Black screen blinking underscore [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Honestgabe

Honestgabe

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a PC that wont boot into Windows 7. Before any window screen shows up it gets stuck on a black screen with a blinking underscore in the top left corner. When the problem started I had several windows running and each closed one by one until the PC finally shut off.

I can not start in safe mode. I was able to perform a system restore to no effect. I changed the boot order to make sure HDD was first and it still didn't work.

Since then I have installed, and am currently running on the problem PC, ubuntu on a flash drive. I am in fact writing this message on the problem PC in ubuntu. I have also made a windows 7 iso DVD which runs on the PC. However when I hit the system repair button it said there were no errors.

I am lost now and everything that I can find regarding these symptons have fixes that appear to be tailored to each particular case, which I have no where near enough knowledge on how to analyze or fix in the first place.

If anyone is familiar with this problem or wants to help and guide me I would be much obliged.

Help! and thanks!

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi there lets see if I can see the problem

Download the following programme to a USB drive:

For 64bit systems
Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64

For 32bit systems
Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

Reboot using the windows 7 CD you will see this although yours will say windows 7.
Click repair my computer
Posted Image

Select your operating system
Posted Image

Select Command prompt
Posted Image

Insert the USB with the correct copy of FRST on it

At the command prompt type the following :

notepad and press Enter.
The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
In the command window type e:\frst64.exe and press Enter for 64 bit
In the command window type e:\frst.exe and press Enter for 34 bit

Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
The tool will start to run.
When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
Posted Image
Press Scan button.
It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.