Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor frequently goes blank then recovers – need new monitor?

• Please log in to reply

911pchelp

911pchelp

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Recently, my monitor goes blank, then recovers (usually after 2 to 4 seconds). When this first started happening (a few days ago) it would only recover by disconnecting the power (in the back of the monitor) and waiting 10 seconds, then reattaching.Now I just wait and it corrects itself, but it's frustrating.

Does this sound like a hardware problem (i.e. a new monitor needed)? Or software problem (have run Malware Anti-Malware and Avast – no viruses)?

PC: Dell Inspiron 545, monitor: Samsung P2770

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello 911pchelp

I note that you recently swapped in a new PSU was this the reason why and the issue has not been resolved.

Do you have an add on video card fitted or are you using the MBs integrated video chip.

Is there a pattern to the behavior as in does it happen when you are watching a video, gaming or browsing the internet as a couple of examples.

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
PSU issue resolved - didn't seem to be related to monitor.

Monitor didn't start "acting up" until 3-4 weeks after PSU was replaced (monitor has it's own power supply)

Have standard video card (Intel I think) - has not been changed since PC purchased (2.5 years).

No pattern that's obvious - does seem to occur more frequently during first two hours of use (PC is usually turned on at 1-2 PM then is on until 2AM ... I'm retired & handicapped - I function better late in day & at night). Rarely watch videos (except YouTube)& no prb then, gaming - NO, not during browsing after 1st 2 hours.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello 911pchelp,

I concur and do not feel that this is a monitor issue however we must never assume <_<

If I may break down your last reply so as to make my answers relevant to each individual point :thumbsup:

Monitor didn't start "acting up" until 3-4 weeks after PSU was replaced (monitor has it's own power supply)

Have you tried another screen/monitor.

Have standard video card (Intel I think) - has not been changed since PC purchased (2.5 years).

This was fine in the past but as times have changed software and video demands require more resources be available, as your computer is using a video chip that is integrated into the MB it relies on the system memory for support so if you do not have sufficient Ram the all round performance of the computer will suffer, this can result in freezing, poor graphics quality and slow access times to programs and data on the HDD.

Having the maximum amount of Ram that the MB will accommodate should be considered, please see below;

The specs that I find for your MB show that it will accept 2GB of Ram, this is fine for desktop publishing and browsing the internet, please keep in mind that for the best system performance the CPU, Ram and all other hardware must compliment each other or bottleneck/s will occur.

The cost of Ram has increased significantly recently but it is still the most cost effective upgrade for most users.

RE: The replacement PSU.

I do not mean to be alarmist and I am only sharing certain relevant knowledge with yourself and others who may read your topic here;

PSU issue resolved - didn't seem to be related to monitor.

Please do not rule out a replacement PSU as the cause!
Can I ask if you are able to provide a link to the replacement PSU that you purchased so that we can take a look.
This is very important because big name system builders often use poor quality PSUs in order to keep their build costs down, this problem is being compounded by the mass production and distribution of sub standard PSUs which are then marketed as genuine brand replacements when they are not.

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Thank you for the response. Before addressing your questions/concerns, let me add a caveat to this issue: today, I've had NO monitor "glitches" (i.e. no blank screens) - started at 2 PM.

Have you tried another screen/monitor.

Don't have another monitor handy. Before I break-down and buy a new one (they're expensive but need a large screen since can only see with 1 eye), I'll try my son's.

Having the maximum amount of Ram that the MB will accommodate should be considered, please see below;

MB has 6 GB RAM - so don't expect a prb here.

PSU issue

Replaced PSU with the following:

http://www.amazon.co...ywords=dell PSU

Yesterday, the monitor "blanked" several times in first few hours and had to unplug the monitor power - then wait 10-15 seconds before replugging (less than 10 sec resulted in no display). When monitor went black, the monitor "control LED's" (at bottom right of frame) went out and the "power LED" was flashing. The power is not directly from the "wall" (i.e. 110v) - but comes from an AC/DC Adapter (plugging into the monitor with a "torpedo" connector). Moved the adapter around thinking it might be the problem and see that I did not leave it in same position as when the prb occurred previously.Coincidence???

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are welcome 911pchelp :thumbsup:

You may be on to something with the monitor power connection and so it is worth keeping a check on, is there any play in the power jack and the socket that could possibly cause the connection to disconnect when the monitor gets warm/hot.

Not sure if you have done the following tests already so I have included them;
http://www.samsung.c...7&map_seq=11090
http://www.samsung.c...7&map_seq=33001

Yes 6GB of Ram is plenty but remember that dual channel Ram is best used in matching pairs, if the monitor checks out as being ok I would try removing one stick of Ram and see how it goes with the matching 4GB of Ram.

Good reviews for the replacement PSU + it has adequate output for the computer.

NB: Worth a mention is the possibility of a dry joint on the monitors power input PCB, I am only mentioning this as a possibility worth looking into if need be and everything else checks out as being good, an example of the type of cleaner used for this http://www.maplin.co...=27521&t=module

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Thanks again and for the 2nd day NO monitor "glitches"

While everything is working, I'm reluctant to pwr off the PC/monitor ("if it ain't broke, don't mess with it")

I'll wait for tonight when turn off PC, then run monitor diags (didn't run before).

I should also run the diags tomorrow before the monitor warms up.

And also bite the bullet by putting the AC/DC Adapter back where it was when "black-out" first occurred.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello 911pchelp

I would leave things as they are while you are not having any problems :yes:

I asked;

is there any play in the power jack and the socket that could possibly cause the connection to disconnect when the monitor gets warm/hot.

No need to check now but can you recall if there was or not.

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
THANKS for the time-resesrching-etc phillpower2.

No "glitches" again today - a record since 'blackness' started.
Ran diags - no issues ... what I expected - monitor works fine when it has power/no glitches.

Will store away suggestions for next time (but I hope there isn't)...no offense to suggs.

Problem is resolved (if happens again will open new thread)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are most welcome 911pchelp and thanks for the follow up :thumbsup:

If the issue does reoccur there is no need to start a new thread come back here as I am never too far away and will be happy to help.