Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sony laptop keeps freezing

• Please log in to reply

mezzmorized

mezzmorized

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,
I have a Sony vaio VPCEE25FG laptop that has suddenly started to freeze. I have tried booting in safe mode and still the same problem. It will work for maybe a minute or so, then freeze. I am pretty much not able to do anything on it. So I am not sure how it can be fixed as I don't have access to another computer. Only my mobile.
Sometimes if I wait long enough (maybe 5_10 mins) it will start up again..and then freeze again.
Hoping you can help.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sounds like a heat issue, is the fan running?

Try booting a Live Linux CD, see if it freezes or keeps running. If it freezes then it's hardware, most likely heat, though it could be a memory or other component problem.

See here: How to install and run Linux Mint Mate to backup data or delete files

Forget about the backup part, just boot it and see if it will continue to run.

mezzmorized

mezzmorized

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I will try to download the file. It might take a while with the constant freezing. If not, I will have to try and borrow a laptop from someone.
Thanks for the reply.
If it is a heat issue, how can this be fixed?

mezzmorized

mezzmorized

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,
Yes, the fan is running.

I have tried to boot from the usb, but it doesn't seem to be working. I have downloaded Linux Mint Mate and usb installer and saved it to my usb stick. But now i am stuck. I tried entering BIOS and changing the boot settings. But it didn't seem to work.
I opened my laptop and cleaned it out a bit. After logging in again and using chrome it seems to be running ok for now.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Did you run USB Installer to create a bootable USB flash drive?
You can't just copy the file to the flash drive.

According to the Users Guide, this is how to change the boot order:

How can I change the boot device order?
You can use one of the BIOS functions to change the boot device order. Follow these steps:
1 Turn on your computer.
2 Press the F2 key when the VAIO logo appears.
The BIOS setup screen appears. If the screen does not appear,
restart the computer and press the F2 key several times
when the VAIO logo appears.
3 Press the < or , key to select Boot.
4 Press the M or m key to select the drive whose boot device order you want to change.
5 Press the F5 or F6 key to change the boot device order.
6 Press the < or , key to select Exit, select Exit Setup, and then press the Enter key.
At the confirmation prompt, press the Enter key.

mezzmorized

mezzmorized

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Have loaded Linux Mint and so far so good. No freezing as yet. What does this mean?

Edited by mezzmorized, 05 May 2013 - 02:10 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
It most likely means your Windows installation is corrupted or has picked up some malware.

Before doing anything else, try removing half of the installed memory and testing. If it fails, swap installed and removed memory and test again. It's possible you have defective ram. If no help ...

Sony site says you have Windows 7 Home Premium. You should be able to restore the computer to factory state using the Recovery Partition on the hard drive. This is what the Users Guide has to say:

Recovery

How can I create recovery discs?
You can create recovery discs using the VAIO Recovery Center. The discs are used to restore your computer system to its factory default settings. To create the discs, click Start, All Programs, VAIO Recovery Center, and Create Recovery Discs.

If your computer is not equipped with a built-in optical disc drive, you need to connect an external optical disc drive (not supplied).

See the Recovery, Backup and Troubleshooting Guide for more information.

How can I restore my computer system to its factory default settings?

There are two ways to recover your computer system: from recovery discs and from a recovery partition.

How can I reinstall the original software and drivers?

You can restore the preinstalled software and drivers using the VAIO Recovery Center. To restore them, click Start, All Programs, VAIO Recovery Center, and Reinstall Programs or Drivers.

I believe the Recovery, Backup and Troubleshooting Guide is on your computer somewhere.

mezzmorized

mezzmorized

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,
I haven't done the above yet...have been using linux for a few days to see how it goes. If doesn't 'freeze' as such, but at time has quite a 'lag'. whereby choosing to do some actions can take a bit of time before it starts. Thus not allowing me to do anything until it starts running again. Should i continue with the above, or does this change what might be wrong?
Cheers

mezzmorized

mezzmorized

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Also, sorry for dumb question, but how do I go about removing and testing my memory, then swapping and test again?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Power down the laptop.

There will be a removable cover on the bottom of the laptop, held on with two (usually) screws. Remove that and you will see the memory modules. Spread the retaining clips apart to remove a memory module. You can leave the cover off while you test.

See here for a: video tutorial

mezzmorized

mezzmorized

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,
Have removed half memory and tested both. It was reported that there were no errors. Although, when 1 was tested, the onboard mouse wouldn't work. Would this mean something?
Should I continue with restore to factory settings?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Restore to Factory is then next logical thing to do. If that does not fix the problem then it's hardware and you will need to take it to a repair shop to have it diagnosed.

mezzmorized

mezzmorized

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Now I can't even get linux mint to load. It gets stuck on the loading screen. The dots Shie it is loading, but nothing happens.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try the memory again. Remove 1/2 and try Linux.

mezzmorized

mezzmorized

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Sorry for not replying sooner. So far everything seems to be working ok. I managed to run Malware and fixed 7 errors. It seems to ve fixed things i think. It generally freezes for a couple of minutes on start up, but other than that it all seems good. Not sure what might be causing this though...