Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with NTBackup - Corrupted data on LTO-4 with big files

• Please log in to reply

DeltaSM

DeltaSM

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

We encountered a very strange problem for weeks with NTBackup when we're doing backups on LTO media. Here are the description of this problem:

We got a backup server with two LTO 4 ultrium tape reader from HP. Their firmware is up to date. The backup server is running on Windows Server 2003 R2 and all the updates are applied.

We have a script which must backup some files from different locations: some of these files are in local on the backup machine and other files must come through the network.

Once the backup is finished, there are lots of erros which are present in the log file with the following statement:

"WARNING: Portions of "XXX" cannot be read. The backed up data is corrupt or incomplete."

Errors occured on local files on the backup server but also on remote files which come through the network.

The only thing that I noticed is that it occurs on big files. The extensions of these files is vary: .bkf, .raw, .avi, .iso, etc.

Our files are not corrupted so I don't understand what happens. Everything worked perfectly in the past.

I changed the LTO tape readers, the motheboard and the hard drive of our backup server. I did a fresh install of the new hardware with all the updates as described before but it doesn't still work. I also did the test with our second backup server and the problem is the same.

Here is the command line used for the backup:
start /w %WINDIR%\system32\NTBACKUP.EXE backup "@%1" /n "%2-%DateComplete%" /d "%2-%DateComplete%" /v:no /r:no /rs:no /hc:on /m normal /j "%2-%DateComplete%" /l:f /p "LTO Ultrium"

Here is the version of NTBackup which were tested:
The version which is present with Windows Server 2003 R2 (don't remember the version number sorry).

Any idea about this problem ? Is there a fix for this ?

Thanks a lots,

DeltaSM

Advertisements