Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3 Separate Issues

• Please log in to reply

soso_killer

soso_killer

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi guys i dont even know were to begin or if i'm posting this question in the right area/forum.
I'll start with my SPECS:
Motherboard:
ECS ELITEGROUP G41T-M
FSB 1333
DDR2 800
SATA 3Gb/s

Power Supply:
FSP GROUP INC
Model No: FSP2500-60THA
AC INPUT: 115/220-240V - 9/6A, 60/50Hz
MAX DC OUTPUT:250W (+3.3V & +5V=115W MAX)

CPU:
Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200, 2.5GHz

RAM: KINGSTON 1 Gig (x2)

Hard Drive:
(I) SAMSUNG 160 GB, 7200 RPM (main)
(II) Seagate 500 GB, 7200.12 RPM (slave)

Graphic Card:
Inno 3D
nVIDIA GEFORCE 9500
GT 512MB, DDR3, HDCP, PCI-E
I have 3 separate problems (which can relate to each other)
1. Power on & off (and on again)
2. Beeping Code/sound
3. PC restarts when a insert a disc in my DVD drive.

1. This one is a minor problem albeit annoying, is my power supply not strong enough to boot my PC? When i turn on my PC (i.e. press the power button) my PC turns on and off (maybe 3 times if i'm lucky, and up to 6 or 7 times on a bad "boot") untill it boots normally and loads the OS. Sometimes i dont get this problem and my PC boots normally.

2. This one is frustrating and infuriating. The beep occurs immediately after i turn on my PC (again not all the time, but frequently as problem no. 1). What frustrates me is that it can occur after the on and off (problem no. 1) saga or occur on its own, when this occurs i have to physically press the power button and shut my PC down, and turn it on again and again depending on how many times the beep occurs.
This is a 3 beep code/sound, i visited my motherboard manufacturers website and it states that 3 beeps are related to RAM problems but it is not specific. I inserted my RAMs on my friends PC and the was no beep no nothing and they worked perfectly.

3. This one really kills me its the final nail in the coffin because i cant install games if my PC restarts everytime i insert a disc. It does not matter if i insert a CD or a DVD it restarts. I have an extra DVD drive (LG that i dont use) its a ROM not a writter like my current one (SAMSUNG) it also gives me the same problem.
If i live a disc inside after the PC restarts it will either keep on restarting (i.e. restart and not load the OS) or it will disable and not recognise the drive and boot properly and load the OS. The disc drive wont show on My Computer, however if i open and close the drive the PC restarts all over again if though it did not recognise it. At this stage the PC will either freeze while loading/showing the BIOS settings or make that annoying 3 beep sound. In either case i have to press the power button and shut it down.
It will make the 3 beep sound for as long as the disc is in the drive, no matter how many times i turn my PC on and off.
And yep i'm pulling my hair out at this stage.
Help me!!

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Hi,

All your problems are probably related to your power supply, 250 watt is really not enough.

1- It shuts down because not all components get enough power at boot.

2- Your beeping codes are also related to not enough power from your PSU, if not enough voltage go to your ram at boot the system detects faulty ram and beeps.

3- Shutting down when inserting a cd/dvd disc is probably also related to your PSU, when the disc is inserted and it starts to speed up it takes additional power and since your power supply can't deliver it shuts down.

If I was you I would change my power supply to a minimum 550 watt (try to buy a good brand that offers 80+ certification) and hopefully all your problems will be solved, if not then we can look at other possibilities.

Hope this helps

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
If I may chime in folks :whistling:

I agree with Alzeimer that the PSU is underpowered, having used a PSU calculator and your list of parts a PSU with an output of 284W was recommended, allow for your case fan/s, a modem or network card and a bit of headroom and you are looking at a PSU with an output of 350W, Antec do make a 350W PSU but it only has one SATA connection, no PCI-E X16 connection and is not 80% certified http://www.newegg.co...ID=3938566&SID=

The next Antec model up is a 380W output PSU, it has plenty of connections but is not shipped with a PSU to wall socket power cord to supposedly encourage users recycling their old power cord http://www.newegg.co...ID=3938566&SID= it is a fair bit more expensive though and so I feel that it is overpriced.

My suggestion would be http://www.amazon.co.../?tag=pcpapi-20 or http://www.amazon.co.../?tag=pcpapi-20

What I suggest that you do until you get a better PSU is remove the add on 9500GT video card and use the MBs integrated video chip, this will ease the stress on the other hardware and prevent any further possible damage.

soso_killer

soso_killer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanx guys,
I think i agree with you that my PSU is not powerfull enough.

But you wont believe what happened today.
A friend of mine accidentally compressed one of his OS files. He called me to help him out and i told him to bring his tower and he did.
I tried using recovery console but that did not work. He did not want me to format his hard drive before he copied some of his data to my Hard Drive.
I inserted his hard drive as a slave in my PC but it did not recognise or read it. So i took out mine and put it in his box. And proceeded to copy some of his data to my hard drive.
The problem began when he visited "My Properties" in "My Computer" while i was at the bathroom (i left to relieve myself while it was still coping files). He clicked on "refresh system ratings" (i'm using Windows 7 Ultimate). And the PC froze. When i got back i tried to cancell what he was doing by visiting Task Manager. But that did not work i pressed the restart button that did not work either. I pressed the power button and still nothing.
I thought what the heck and i turned off the power from the wall socket. When i turned it on again and tried to boot my PC i got this message
"Disk read error press CLTR+ALT+DLT"
I am so frustrated because not only did he mess with his PC he messed with mine.
The good news is that i fixed his PC by formating his hard drive. After that i inserted mine as a slave and my data was OK nothing was missing or damaged.
The Problem is it wont boot and load the OS.
I'm thinking of removing the BIOS battery and refresh my motherboard settings, but i dont want to screw everything up i'll just by a new HD at the end of the month and a new PSU of course.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

What I suggest that you do until you get a better PSU is remove the add on 9500GT video card and use the MBs integrated video chip, this will ease the stress on the other hardware and prevent any further possible damage.

If a lack of power is preventing the computer from booting up removing the add on video card may free up enough juice for the computer to function correctly.

Are you aware that you can restore the MBs default settings in the BIOS.