Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8 won't boot, only boots to X: ?

• Please log in to reply

XLITZ

XLITZ

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a windows 8 tablet, which won't boot into windows, the OS is there but it won't let me get into the OS.

I attached 3 photos to show u how to screen looks after I turn on the tablet step by step.

On the 3rd screen where the CMD line is Iam able to get to the command prompt, but it has X: can anyone help with this, I've been all around and none can help.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm sorry you have waited 3 days for help but I will try to assist you now.
First though can you explain when this first started?
Was there anything updated as far as drivers or hardware when this started?
Any programs, games, videos or any other software added right before this started?
Is there data that you need to save on the system now before we continue?
How old is the system and is there still a warranty on the system?

XLITZ

XLITZ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for taking time to get this issue resolved.

1: when the machine was 1st turned on this is what happen.
2: there was no updated drivers installed,because the tablet has not been used yet
3: the machine has not been used yet, this issue started at 1st boot
4: there is no data that needs to be saved at all
5: the machine is new, it never was used, I got the windows 8 tablet way before release and never used it
but when I wanted to try it out this is what happen.

On the 3rd image where u see the cmd prompt, if u look at the bottom of the screen, Iam able to get to a blank cmd screen, and it says x: so i was able to the is partition recovery etc, just to let u know.

I'm sorry you have waited 3 days for help but I will try to assist you now.
First though can you explain when this first started?
Was there anything updated as far as drivers or hardware when this started?
Any programs, games, videos or any other software added right before this started?
Is there data that you need to save on the system now before we continue?
How old is the system and is there still a warranty on the system?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK since there is no data to worry about lets try a clean new install and see if that will fix it.
Before attempting this can you tell me if the hard drive is identified in the bios of the system?

XLITZ

XLITZ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

OK since there is no data to worry about lets try a clean new install and see if that will fix it.
Before attempting this can you tell me if the hard drive is identified in the bios of the system?

Yes the bios sees the SDD drive (image shown)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK so lets try the installation then. Can you tell me what the boot sequence is in the bios? Is the hard drive or something else setup as the first boot device?
This will erase the hard drive and set everything back to factory.

Dell:

The key combination is CRTL + F11 pushing the keys at the same time at the the dell screen during post. Once you push them then you want to release them.
It should go into the recovery partition so you can do a system restore.

XLITZ

XLITZ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

OK so lets try the installation then. Can you tell me what the boot sequence is in the bios? Is the hard drive or something else setup as the first boot device?
This will erase the hard drive and set everything back to factory.

Dell:

The key combination is CRTL + F11 pushing the keys at the same time at the the dell screen during post. Once you push them then you want to release them.
It should go into the recovery partition so you can do a system restore.

I plugged in the External keyboard and the same thing happen, I checked the Bios and yes the hard drive is the 1st priority

And when it boots up, Iam able to get to the cmd prompt which is shown below, can I recovery it from the cmd prompt but when I push F11 and CTRL it does not go into recovery mode.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by XLITZ, 10 May 2013 - 12:33 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
F drive should be the recovery partition from what I have found.

XLITZ

XLITZ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yeah, p I tried what u asked me and it is not success , is there anyway I can tell the bios to boot into a certain partition or,to recover the computer through the bios etc

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope if it won't change to one of those partitions then we may be at a point that you need to take it back where you bought it and have them reinstall.

XLITZ

XLITZ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Nope if it won't change to one of those partitions then we may be at a point that you need to take it back where you bought it and have them reinstall.

Even if I do, there is no warranty when it comes to this tablet, so I won't be able to get it repaired, idk lol I just expect more from this site.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Even if I do, there is no warranty when it comes to this tablet, so I won't be able to get it repaired, idk lol I just expect more from this site.

How old is the tablet?
We try our best to help but the fact it is new and even if there is no warranty from the place you bought it there is at least a one year warranty from the manufacturer that we must be careful not to void.
Seeing that the bios shows all the partitions as you have shown then we have to look at the possibility that the OS is not installed correctly. I am going to ask a fellow staff member to take a look at this and maybe they can suggest a trick or two.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What is the model number of the Dell tablet? That would help us find the right Users Guide on the Dell website.

If it's new, why is there no warranty? As rshaffer61 said, there should be at least a year.