Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem Connecting Dell Inspiron Desktop to LCD HDTV

• Please log in to reply

silverose

silverose

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi:

I am trying to connect my Dell Inspiron 580S desktop computer to my AOC Envision LCD HDTV to watch online videos and movies. I tried using a new 25 foot HDMI cable, and hooked one into the TV's HDMI plug and the other end into the HDMI port on the back of the computer. With the computer turned off, I changed the TV input to PC and then turned on the computer thinking it would recognize the TV, but nothing happened. Then, I tried it again with the TV input on HDMI, and that did not work either. I don't know if this means I might need a "dedicated" video card. Because my computer by itself has very good video and I could watch on the computer (but don't want to), I did not anticipate needing a new video card just to enable my TV. Of course, assuming there is an inexpensive way to accomplish this, I also need the ability to keep my computer and monitor connections intact, with the ability to watch on the TV when I want. I don't know any of the options. I have not changed any of my computer's settings yet, and maybe that is necessary.

Is there a way to do this easily and without spending too much? If I do need a new video card, what exactly would I need to shop for?

Here is some of the basics about my computer (from the original packing slip):

Inspiron 580S
Intel Core i3-540 processor (4MB Cache, 3.06 GHz)
4GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz-4X1GB
NVDIA D11M0-30 NV G310 (512MB)
640GB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPM
Windows 7 Pro (64 bit)
16X DVD+/-RW
Cyberlink Power DVD 8.3 Playback
Dell Software Roxio 1.0
Dell 19 in 1 Media Card Reader

This may be enough for you to evaulate, but I can also do a Belarc profile or something else you might need. I would greatly appreciate some guidance and information. I have gotten very, very frustrated when I attempt to Google this issue, and have not gotten anything solid to go on.

Thank you.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello silverose

Have you extended the desktop to the external display using the Windows settings http://windows.micro...ltiple-monitors

Things that may affect what you are wanting to achieve are the 25 foot cable and the size of the external display, what size screen does the AOC Envision have.

silverose

silverose

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi phillpower2:

The AOC TV is 19 inch.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi silverose

The screen size is not an issue then.

Have you extended the desktop to the external display using the Windows settings http://windows.micro...ltiple-monitors