Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power outage reboot generated many new files

• Please log in to reply

Unipod

Unipod

• Pip
  • 2 posts
As I was using the computer yesterday, a transformer blew out in the neighborhood. After the power came back on I rebooted into XP and got a message saying that there were "inconsistencies" in my files and CHKDSK would be run unless I hit a key. I let CHKDSK do its thing, which involved a 3-part test and considerable time. Then the computer booted okay, and applications ran just fine. The only thing.....I now have a TON of new folders on the C drive, of the general look of $NtUninstallQ329834$. They have different numbers after the Q. I'm wondering if they're now necessary to run the computer, or can I safely delete them? Thanks for your insights.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
They are the files necessary to back out a Windows Update. Not needed unless you plan to do this.

They are normally under the \Windows directory though.