Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Floppy disk fail + not able to press F-keys other than F1

• Please log in to reply

Carls

Carls

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've been trying to fix my brother's computer for a while now, and I've ran across quite a few errors. Some of which require me to press F-keys on startup to access BIOS settings and such. However, I can't seem to click any other F-keys other than F1 (and it requires me to click F1 to continue, I might add).
Is there any other way to get to BIOS settings or fix the non-clickable F-keys at start?

The message displayed on the window I must press F1 to continue is:

Floppy disk(s) fail 40
Warning! CPU has been changed or CPU Ratio changed fail.
Please re-enter CPU settings in the CMOS setup and remember to save before quit (anything beyond this point is cut off by the screen)

Thank you.

Note: It's probably not a problem with the keyboards, since I've literally clicked every single button on my keyboard and his, and only F1 works, and I know my keyboard's F-keys work perfectly on my computer.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Usually when the F1 message appears it is to tell you that a change has been made in the BIOS that does not work or that an error was detected in your hardware during the BIOS Seek (floppy fail)

First thing you should do is change the CMOS battery because it seems that your BIOS is not keeping the changes made in it (CPU setting)and that is usually caused by a faulty battery.

You should verify if the cable to the floppy is properly secured in place and that the electrical is plugged in. If you do not use it you can disable the floppy disk in the BIOS setting or you can change the floppy if you think it might be faulty.

Once you changed the battery you will have to reenter the BIOS and set up all that you need (date and time, boot device priority and any other settings you know you need) once this is done you have to save your changes and exit the BIOS.

Hope that helps

Carls

Carls

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you very much, I'll get around to it as soon as possible; however, I fear I may have done a bad job at explaining myself.

The computer doesn't support floppy disks, and as far as I know from googling a bit, the way to fix a floppy disk fail 40 for a computer that doesn't support floppy disks is by pressing F8 on startup, which has no effect for me.

Will changing my CMOS battery fix the floppy disk problem or the un-clickable F-keys problem?

Again, thank you for your time.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
A "Floppy disk seek failed" error is a classic message on a Dell machine and can be seen on machines that do not even have a physical floppy disk drive on board.

This is because the bios is looking for one, even though it's not there, and the way to alleviate this is to disable the floppy drive aspect in the bios.

A dying CMOS batter can lead to all kinds of errors anyway so try replacing it with a new one.

If yours is a Dell box then F2 is the usual key to access the bios and must be tapped continually upon boot up.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I would check in my BIOS, usually in advance or boot option for something like BOOT UP FLOPPY SEEK and disable this option

Also make sure your boot sequence is either your HD first CD/DVD rom second or vice versa and if possible disable the floppy (removable device) boot from the choices of boot devices.

One last thing in some BIOS sometimes this message (floppy disk fail) appears when your hd is dead.

Are you able to boot at all? if yes then your hd is ok

Hope that helps