Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

White Screen of Death on Windows 8?

• Please log in to reply

MrMister

MrMister

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello world! Unfortunately, I am in quite a dilemma as my Samsung Series 3(I believe..?) laptop is stuck on a white screen. There were no streaks of white or pink across the screen prior to it, rather, as soon as I booted the laptop up, it simply started on a white screen. If I can get any help on this matter then that would be wonderful.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts
:welcome: MrMister

Try booting into Safe Mode by restarting the computer and continually tapping the F8 key.
Let us know how this goes please.

MrMister

MrMister

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The funny thing is, previously, I was able to hook up my laptop to a monitor to switch it to Safe Mode, but after switching it, the laptop screen is still white, and the monitor simply tells me "NO SIGNAL". I've also repeatedly pressed F8 but to no avail.

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Does the computer show the normal splash screen at boot and then go to the white screen, when it should go to start page/desktop (whatever it is for Windows 8)? If so, this could be one of the botched FBI ransomware infections. I would recommend posting in the Malware Removal forum.

MrMister

MrMister

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Unfortunately not, as soon soon as I hit the power button to turn it on, it's simply white.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts
If the external display is also white it suggests that the video chip may have failed.

How old is the computer - is it still covered by a warranty.

MrMister

MrMister

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I got the laptop last Christmas, so the warranty should be fine.

MrMister

MrMister

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Just a note; when I start the laptop up, it doesn't go to the splash screen or anything, it's simply white.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,980 posts
Hi MrMister,

Start pressing F10 just after power on and see if you can get to the boot machine.
If you can't access the menu most likely the machine have an Hardware problem and not a Software problem.

CaptJackSparrow

CaptJackSparrow

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • MVP
It sounds like a Hardware issue than software. Since your external monitor didn't get the signal from the port it might be your display card. Well since you're laptop is still in warranty you can send it to them and get it fixed.

Anarchy

Anarchy

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
It appears to be your display card or graphics card that has failed. Like you said, your warranty should cover this :)