Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connection Issues ... can connect to some, but can' t connect to o

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
My daughter-in-law has a laptop ... she is able to connect up at my house using my wifi (secured with a password) she can connect at her parents house wifi (secured with a password) she can connect at her friend's house (secured with a password)

I have been unable to connect to unsecure wifi such as the one at the Community College, McDonald's, The Hospital ...

I'm not sure what I'm overlooking ... can someone help me with this please.

Let me know what other information you need from me.

Thanks in advance

dog

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Here in the UK there is a chain of Wetherspoon pubs that run a WiFi Network called The Cloud but to connect to the Cloud initially you have to set up an account with them that costs nothing by the way.

The same situation may apply with the outlets that you are trying to connect to.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
thanks, but I don't think that's the problem ... I don't have accounts with the ones that her laptop will not connect to and I can connect just fine with my laptop ... hmmm

dog

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
She is able to connect at your house and other locations for the simple reason that she has the router login details supplied by you and others.

This is a different ballgame when connecting to a free domain.

When you are at McDonalds for example, ask them for the login details.

This from McDonalds UK operation.

http://www.mcdonalds...-WiFi-FAQs.html

Read "Why do you need my details?".

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
I'm not sure why it will let my laptop connect and not hers ... I've updated the drivers for her network card. I went to the IT office at Mid Michigan Community College and they tried a number of things as well ... they even tried their secure network (with their password) and hers would not connect up.

I read the stuff on the McDonald's site, but again, why would hers not connect, when mine can?

I appreciate the help

dog

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
The wireless is switched on on the laptop yes?

A crazy question I know but it's happened before.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
thanks for asking that ... but yes, it was on ... we hooked up to my wifi before and after we went to the college ... still wondering, but appreciate your help

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
What is the exact make and model of the laptop and what operating system is it running Dog?

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
I know it's an Acer ... running Win7 ... but as for the exact model, I'll have to look when I get home. I'm substitute teaching today and did not bring it with me.

dog

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I await your reply Dog. :thumbsup:

Advertisements

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Her laptop is

Acer Aspire 5250 series
Model # P5WE6

Windows 7 Home Premium

dog

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Have a read of this Dog.

http://windows.micro...etwork-location

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
that doesn't seem to help ... going to also try contacting the maker of the laptop and see if they can help

dog

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Does your laptop see the connection, and cannot connect, or does it not even see the connection?

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Does your laptop see the connection, and cannot connect, or does it not even see the connection?

It can see the connection, but when it tries to connect, it comes up with an error and asks you to run the troubleshooter and when we do, the only thing I see it REALLY do is to reset the WiFi adapter and I tried that BEFORE as well and it does NOT fix the problem.

dog