Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor screen shrunk

• Please log in to reply

stressed out

stressed out

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My monitor screen shrunk automatically to half of it's size from left and right hand side. It squezzed inwards vertically for some reason and won't come back to it;s normal size. I tried changing the resolution and adjusting the monitor size but everything in vain. I then re-installed the display drivers (ATI Radeon 7500 series) but still nothing. I tried restarting my computer in the safe mode but the screen size remains the same (shrunk).

When the problem first started, the screen came back to it's normal size after a restart but now it remains shrunk. Pls help and let me know how it could be fixed. Thanks in advance. This monitor shrinkage is quite annoying.

If this is a video card problem, can u pls tell me how to locate which video card I am using. Oculd it be due to Service Pack 2. Pls help.

Edited by stressed out, 07 June 2005 - 09:25 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get Everest Home

http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

click + next to computer then summary then look at video adapter

could you post the make and model of the monitor

stressed out

stressed out

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thank you so much for your reply Keith. The link you sent me is an excellent tool.

I think I kind of figured out what the problem is (without any solution though) but before jumping to any conclusions, I will tell you exactly what is happening now.

I changed my monitor with an older monitor that I had. The shrinkage problem seems to have gone away with the old monitor. The problem still persists with the original monitor whose make and model was LG Flatron 776FM.

However, now I am stuck with a new problem. It seems that whenever I try to go to windows update, my computer shuts down automatically. I am sending you an attachment of the output that was produced by Everest software and wherever you see an X, that's where the problem lies. Reason being that whenever I click on the X under Summary, my computer shuts down and restarts automatically.

So I am assuming I messed up something while looking for the fix on my own. The only thing I can think of is that I rolled back the driver (big mistake)

Please help, this is a big dilemma for me. I don't know how I can get rid of these problems.
a) Screen shrinkage with the LG Flatron monitor
b) computer shutting down and restarting whenever I try to go to Windows Update.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Edited by stressed out, 07 June 2005 - 03:11 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Choose the owners manual you need, select monitor in both product and type boxes then put 776FM in the model box. Look at A8 which says you should press OSD then use the 4 arrows to get size then adjust then press set

http://gb.lgservice.com/index_b2c.jsp

Updating the video drivers will probably be good too

Edited by Keith, 07 June 2005 - 03:47 PM.

stressed out

stressed out

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have already tried everything with resetting the monitor size manually following the instructions, however that does not seem to make a difference. I have now changed the monitors and shrinkage problem has been solved with this monitor. The biggest problem still lies with downloading the drivers.

As mentioned earlier, whenever I try to
a) update the drivers, my computer shuts down and restarts automatically
b) go to Windows Update, computer shuts down and restarts automatically
c) restart computer, it gives an error msg asking to restore deskstop settings, once clicked on the link, it shuts down and restarts automatically
d) It also gives error messages at the startup saying it had encountered some problems and click on report to send information to microsoft, once done, it takes me to this website (http://oca.microsoft...3c5003bf&SID=11) and whenever I click on device driver, computer shurts down and restarts automatically

I tried installing the driver that I downloaded from this site - https://support.ati....dge&folderID=27 , under safe mode, however, midway it stopped the installation and gave me an error msg saying,
"Setup unable to find components that can be installed on your current hardware or software configuration. Please make sure you have the required hardware or software."

I don't know what to do. I am sending you the summary report that I got from Everest software:

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.01.347
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2005-06-08

--------[ Summary ]------------------------------------------------------------------------
Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
DirectX 4.09.00.0902 (DirectX 9.0b) ----- has an X beside it (whenever u click the X, computer shuts down and restarts automatically)

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 1600 MHz (16 x 100)
Motherboard Name Intel Billings D845BG (6 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DIMM, Audio)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Brookdale i845D
System Memory 256 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (11/13/01)

Display:
Video Adapter RADEON 7500 (64 MB)
Video Adapter RADEON 7500 (64 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Radeon 7500 (RV200) ----- has an X beside it (whenever u click the X, computer shuts down and restarts automatically)
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (71671602388)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801BA(M) ICH2 - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-5]

ATI Radeon 7500 DDR Video Adapter

Please help as this is getting very frustrating...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you click start then run then type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar

Boot the PC and keep tapping the F8 key right after the beep until you get the options screen, select safe mode with networking, can you get anything to download.

If you right click the desktop, then properties then settings then advanced then troubleshoot, can you reduce the video acceleration.

Click start then my computer then view system information, hardware, device manager, click + next to display adapters, click a Radeon item, right click then click unistall then confirm, do this with the other Radeon item and confirm then reboot

stressed out

stressed out

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have given my xp cd to a friend of mine and will be getting it back on Saturday. Till then I think I won't be able to try anything else. Sorry about that. However I will greatly appreciate if you could help me once I get the cd and try the steps you have told me about. You have been a lot of help and will need more, I am sure.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See you at the weekend

stressed out

stressed out

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi, I have tried everything you had suggested, however it did not make a difference. The few things that it allowed me to do is to go to windows update and
I was also able to install new version of ati adapters.

However, now when I boot my computer, it gives me a screen that forces me to press F1 to resume booting up. Once logged in, it gives the Microsoft error report, once submited it takes me to this URL link: http://oca.microsoft...9e254944&SID=10

The screen still remains shrunk and I still have the X's beside DirectX, 3D Accelerator, under Everest rSummary port

rockfan

rockfan

• Pip
  • 5 posts
did you find a solution to it? i happen to have the exact samen problem :tazz:

Edited by rockfan, 28 June 2005 - 12:35 PM.

stressed out

stressed out

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Unfortunately, I didn't. I have tried every thing that Keith had suggested but it didn't make a difference. The screen still remains shrunk. I still get errors at the startup of the computer and upon submitting the report, this is what I get:

http://oca.microsoft...fe2c23f&SID=802

http://oca.microsoft...5090&SID=11#top

Thus, I have not gotten anywhere, still in a big dilemma and stressed out :tazz: