Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Operating system not found - HD & RAM PASS test

• Please log in to reply

horseshoe

horseshoe

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
six months ago i replace my laptop system board and everything's fine.
a few days ago, suddenly my application forze so I restart and get black screen with "Operating system not found".

When I go to BIOS there are 2 things happern:
(1) with CD ROM (internal) attached, screen stay at HP logo with F9 key to change boot device, F2 to enter start
check, F11 to Recovery disk etc. Screen froze at this page doesn't matter which functionkey I pressed
(2) without CD ROM, I was able to enter setup normally and perform HD and Memory test. Both pass the test.

I change the boot order here and attached CD rom (internal) back with recovery disk (also try with Linex
Puppy disk )to start from CD, laptop stuck at setup menu page with message "entering setup ..Please wait"

Everytime I change boot order to CD 1st, HD 2nd and restart then enter setup to check... the boot order
automatically change to USB Floopy 1st , CD ROM 2nd then HD 3rd...

so, I reseat the HD and repeat steps above but still have the same issue.
I also try with external USB cd ROM and get the same result.

I have an extra HD and try with that. also get the same error.

Any help with this issue is greatly appreciate.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

Sounds like you have a bad CD Rom drive, does the system boot if you remove the drive or did you delete everything from the HDD?

Also post the Windows version you have and if it's 32 or 64 bits.

Edited by SleepyDude, 17 May 2013 - 02:16 PM.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
It is windows Vista 32 bits.
It won't boot either when cd rom is not attahed.
i did not delete anything. it just froze suddenly.

Edited by horseshoe, 17 May 2013 - 04:36 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

It is windows Vista 32 bits.
It won't boot either when cd rom is not attahed.
i did not delete anything. it just froze suddenly.

Sorry I forget to ask if you have an Windows Vista install DVD?

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
It only came with "Recovery Disks" 9not sure if this is install cd) and also there is a "D" drive with Recovery system installed.
I tried to recover with Recovery disk with both inernal CD rom and external USB dvd drive. But no luck. screen suck at HP logo and can't even get into set up screen when either one of the cd rom is attached.
(I entered into setup with no cd rom attached and change the boot order to CD rom 1st, HD 2ND, then attach the CD ROM and press F10 to save & exit to let system boot from cd ROM. But did not work.)

Edited by horseshoe, 18 May 2013 - 09:15 AM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

Can you check the BIOS for the Disk configuration and check if you find some option with AHCI and post the other possible values you have?

If you have trouble finding this can you post the laptop model you have?

Another test you can do is to disconnect the HDD and boot using the Puppy Linux CD to see if the machine works.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Belows are what i have in system configuration menu:
and my laptop model is : HP Pavilion dv6700
BIOS version F.25 (Phoenix BIOS)

Language [English (us)]
Button sound [enabled]
Dedicated video memory up to [64Mb]
Virtualization Technology [Disabled]

BOOT OPTIONS
F10 and F12 Delay (sec) (0)
CD ROM Boot [enabled]
Floopy boot [enabled]
Internal netwrok ada[ter boot [disabled]

BOOT ORDER:

USB Floopy
ATAPI CD/DVD ROM Drive
Notebook hared drive
USB diskette on key
USB Hard drive
Netowrk adapter

Remove HD, set boot order to CD Rom and boot with Linex Puppy :
Can hear noise (i think the from the fan spinning) with black screen, HP logo does not even display

shut down the laptop and restart, NOW ATAPI CD/DVD ROM Drive is set to 1st boot order. Get BLANK GRAY / White screen (looks like with light) not black screen.

Edited by horseshoe, 18 May 2013 - 11:03 AM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

I had an HP laptop from different series dv9000 and if I'm not mistaken the laptop will not boot at all without an Hard Disk installed probably yours is doing the same.

You said the system board was replaced is it brand new?

Do you have another machine to connect the hard drive as second disk to check if you can access the data? or an adapter like this to connect the disk to an USB port?

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I think the system board is refurbished. And unfortunately, i do not have the adaptor to test HD with another machine. Looks like this adaptor can be handy to use to confiute issue. I think i should buy one. the question is it is universal standard or come with different model for different type of HD?
No, i reseat the HD back and the boot order changed automatically to USB Floopy which I don't know what it is.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

I think the system board is refurbished. And unfortunately, i do not have the adaptor to test HD with another machine. Looks like this adaptor can be handy to use to confiute issue. I think i should buy one. the question is it is universal standard or come with different model for different type of HD?

Its universal works for standard hard drives used on Desktops (3.5") and laptops (2.5") there are others also supporting IDE drives of 1.8" used on some laptops like this one

No, i reseat the HD back and the boot order changed automatically to USB Floopy which I don't know what it is.

Its to boot from a USB flash drive.

You know the state of the extra HD you talked about?
Did you try to boot with the Puppy Linux CD with the extra HD installed?

Advertisements

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Tried to boot with extra HD and puppy disk using external CD ROM and get message 'Operating system not found'.CD ROM is still set to 1st boot.
Try the same thing with internal CD Rom and screen stuck at setup message page and won't even get into setup.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Tried to boot with extra HD and puppy disk using external CD ROM and get message 'Operating system not found'.CD ROM is still set to 1st boot.
Try the same thing with internal CD Rom and screen stuck at setup message page and won't even get into setup.

The external CD will not boot that way you need to press F9 to get the Boot menu and then you will see an option USB CDROM or similar if the machine can boot this way (most likely).

Sorry I'm out of ideas, it's probably an Hardware problem maybe the motherboard but can't be sure.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
The issue is the system board for sure. After replacing with a new one, the laptop boots normally. Now I am facing another problem with network card. the screw was too tight and the screw head is kind of worn out and can't seem to un-screw and take it out from the old system board. Do you have any suggestion?
Thanks!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

The issue is the system board for sure. After replacing with a new one, the laptop boots normally. Now I am facing another problem with network card. the screw was too tight and the screw head is kind of worn out and can't seem to un-screw and take it out from the old system board. Do you have any suggestion?
Thanks!

Its a mechanical problem and without seeing its complicated to give suggestions...
Because its the broken board you can be a little more "aggressive" try putting the screwdriver on the right place and give a small bump on the top.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Found a few ideas from web and was able to remove the network card from old system board.
Now my laptop is working as before.
Thank you all for your help.