Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I have a newbie question about My new logitech X530 speakers

• Please log in to reply

Nathanfrabott

Nathanfrabott

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay so please bare with me as I know very little about sound cards, sound speakers and anything of the sort. I know what 5.1, 7.1, and 2.1 and that stuff is, but otherwise please explain to me as if you're explaining math to a 3rd grader! So i got a set of the Logitech X530's, they are 5.1 surround sound, and i love them! The only problem is that they don't play music out of all the speakers all the time. When i play music from iTunes, they play out of all the speakers, but when i play you tube, or anything else like games, or videos they only come out of the 2 main front speakers. I have looked up every solution I know, to no avail. I have configured them, bought a new sound card(it supports 5.1) and i have gone into the advanced settings and set the speakers to 5.1 settings. I don't know if this will help but in my playback devices under my speakers and over to this tab called "Sound blaster" it has its own advanced setting and under that is where i set it to 5.1, but there's these 2 other things I am not too sure about called EAX effect(which i do not have enabled) and CMSS-3D (which is enabled). Would these have anything to do with it?? Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and for helping me out guys! I appreciate it!

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Let us consider and compare this issue to an Audio/Video scenario for the moment.

Back in the day when Dolby Pro-Logic amplifiers were the latest thing you could listen to films at home in nearly the same way as in the cinema because when the film was made the sound tracks were recorded so as to sound more effective.

The speakers at home were thus:

Stereo L/R
Center Speaker
Rear Speakers

Sub Woofers were not an option on low end Dolby amps

Similar to your speakers in fact.

Take a scene where someone was talking and in this case only the center speak would be active whereas a war scene where a helicopter was coming in from the back of you the rear speakers would kick in plus all the others of course.

As you can see all this would make the viewing experience a lot better.

Now back to your issue

It would seem to me that Apple have encoded the tracks in iTunes to encompass 5.1 but not actually be like it in the proper sense.

The reason why you are only getting Stereo when playing other stuff is because they are not encoded but this is where EAX and CMSS-3D come in as they offer a kind of pseudo surround sound aspect.

EAX

CMSS-3D

Hope this helps Nathan.