Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse cursor gone crazy - computer unusable

• Please log in to reply

Cyberkashi

Cyberkashi

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have been struggling for the problem of an uncontrollable mouse for a couple weeks now and cannot seem to find a fix. I have seen others with similar problems but the fixes that work for them don't work for me. It is so bad that I had to write this report on my iPad!

Symptoms:

- Left mouse button stops working or double-click stops working (very slow double click speed selected)
- Icons lock in place and cannot move them -- align/autoarrange is NOT selected.
- Windows freeze for a couple of minutes but then focus returns
- Right mouse button appears to be pressed all the time -- continually displaying right mouse menu and preventing typing in any text box
- Objects and options are automatically selected without clicking on them -- as I move the mouse when the right menu is displayed.
- Options are selected and activated but this is likely due to the auto clicking that occurs as I try to regain control of the mouse.
- Windows is not always indicating all the windows that are open (maybe leading to freezing problem).
- Problem is intermittent. It is unusable for several hours and then when I go back to the computer (not rebooting) the problem has gone away for a while but soon returns. I cannot identify a program or actions that triggers the issue. Not all issues are present all the time..

Answers to Expected Questions:

Computer: Dell Inspiron N7110. Purchased Jan 2012
Did you upgrade/change your OS: No this is the OS that came on the computer.
Last Windows Update: 5/17/2013
Did you try another mouse: Problem does not appear to be the mouse. Problem still occurs when I unplug the mouse and just use the touchpad.
Does the problem continue in SAFE MODE: Yes
Did you scan for viruses: Yes with Norton and Maleware Bytes
Did you run Hijack This: Yes, nothing unusual that i can identify. one interesting thing on HJT is that the program cannot access the HOSTs file or make any changes that I request even though I am running it as an Administrator.
What changes had you made prior to the issue occurring: Unfortunatley, a lot...
- McAfee had expired for a couple days so I installed Comcast's Norton Anti-virus and Constant Guard. I then learned that constant guard can cause issues so I uninstalled both and reinstalled just Norton.
- Installed Google Toolbar & Google Chrome
- Installed Monopolpy Tycoon from CD. I ran a MS wizard that made some compatibility changes to the system.

What elese have you done:

- There were so many problems that I restored the system from a month ago. That got rid of monopoly tycoon (no issue). But not all the bits of norton and mcafee.--which is why reinstalled Norton and Constant Guard adn then uninstalled them using Revo Uninstaller

Would appreciate any help because this problem has me stumped and I cannot find anyone who has the exact same problem with all these symptoms.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts
Hello Cyberkash

Did you use the Norton uninstaller tool to remove the software https://support.nort...erProfile_en_us it is important that you use any uninstaller tool that is provided for a specific program so as to avoid potential issues.

As an asides try an alternative AV software such as Avast free or MSE also free, both are very good and also light on system resources.

Cyberkashi

Cyberkashi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I originally used MS Add/Remove to take Norton & Constant guard off the system. When that didn't do a good job, I reinstalled and used Revo uninstaller to remove Constant Guard which is a Comcast--not Norton product. I am not convinced though that the Constant Guard is the problem--and it does appear to be removed from my system at this point.

The cursor problem is still intermittant. Seemed to be gone for hours today but then on rebooting it was back. I have been cleaning SW off my system as I go. I also am having some issues where all the windows freeze and I cannot access any of them for a minute or two. Then control comes back. I can access Task Manager so the windows freeze but not Windows Desktop or my keyboard. I also found out I cannot START the Windows Event Log, even when running Services as an administrator.

I still can't get double click to work but I can sometimes get a single click to work if I Right-click first. I have attached my HJT log in case anyone sees a problem that might be related to this weird combination of errors.

Edited by Elster, 19 May 2013 - 06:31 PM.
Removed HJT log

Cyberkashi

Cyberkashi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Update 5:30 PM ET 5/19/13

I was able to enable Hijack This to make changes on my system. I then

- Had HJT clean up more files
- Ran a Trend Micro rootkit detector and bot detector. ALL CLEAN
- Installed HJT 2.0.5

I still cannot initiate the Windows Event Log. I also do not know why there are so many missing files indicated in the HJT log or whether the missing files are causing problems. Fresh HJT log below.

Edited by Elster, 19 May 2013 - 06:28 PM.
Removed HJT log

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts
Hello Cyberkashi

HJT logs are not used on these forums and so a mod or admin will need to take a look at your topic in case it needs moving to malware or only the logs removed.

Please bare with us.

Elliot

Elliot

Retired Staff

• Expert
  • 3,769 posts
Hello Cyberkashi!

I've gone ahead and removed your logs for now. If phillpower2, or any other tech, feels that your issue may be virus related, he will direct you to the malware removal forum for further assistance. Good luck with your issue.

All yours Phil! :)

Thanks!

Elster

Cyberkashi

Cyberkashi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
My computer was totally functional for a day. Then this evening it started acting up after I access Facebook to play a game. The game froze and things went downhill from there. Don't know whether Facebook had anything to do with it or it was just the timing.

Also, today a message was displayed on my screen that I was not running a licensed version of windows--which I am. I had seen this message displayed for a short time during my previous trouble but it went away as I fixed things. Now it is back.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts
Hello Cyberkash

We could do with some further information about what is installed on your computer;

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information :thumbsup:

NB: An example of the url that we require and the information that it leads to http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25271813

We will come back to the Windows message after looking at the test results.

Thanks Elster :thumbsup: