Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OCR program/add on

• Please log in to reply

Jhazon

Jhazon

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
A couple of years ago I must have downloaded some sort of Optical Character Recognition (OCR) program because when I open TIIF files, it allowed me to select and area and scan it with OCR. The result would create a Word file which transcribed the TIFF scan. Since reformating my PC, I seemed to overlook backing this feature up and now unable to utilize OCR on my TIFF scans. Not sure if I downloaded it or it came as some hidden feature on Windows XP. Please help!

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I would imagine it came as part of the scanner software.

Jhazon

Jhazon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Actually appears it was with Microsoft Office 2002. Once I reinstalled the Office pack, I found "Microsoft Document Imaging" under Microsoft Office Tools in the programs bar. It is a great tool! Great for taking TFF scans of old newspaper articles or documents and converting it to a Word file. Sometime, if the scans are bad, it doesn't work well. But if its clear, it save some much time versus transcribing the scan!!